Shortening Fender style bridge saddle adjustment screws

Great Ape

What have you folks found to be the best way to cut these screws down so they aren't ripping up your right hand when they're too long & sharp?

You need a Screw Gizzie.

I built my own years ago but you can buy one from Brownells.
& probably a hundred other places I'm not aware of.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/polishing-tools-accessories/polishing-wheels/screw-holder-gizzie--prod599.aspx?dym=y

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but this one works and you don't ruin the part while you are shorten them.

Hbom said:
You need a Screw Gizzie.
Well you learn something new every day. Or you could just buy some shorter screws; I know Cagey keeps a link handy...

I would not even think about buying shorter screws when I could opt to purchase a Screw Gizzie.  :laughing3:

If you elect to trim a screw you have on hand - and have a die (a nut will do in a pinch), thread it on before cutting, cut, file / stone the cut, then back the nut / die off and it'll recut the threads through the part you just goobered up cutting it.

I apologize to all of you run down to the store types but the OP was how to shorten screws not where to buy them.

My gizzie was maybe five cents worth of scrap metal, 1 rivet and ten minutes of work. You would just be looking for a parking spot by the time I was done with all six screws.

And it's probably shortened a hundred screws or more over the years.

Back