Short scale bass and medium scale bass

tfarny said:
Isn't that a P body with a Jazz bridge rout, the one under the neck?

The shape matches that of all the Jazz bodies beneath it.

Also, look at the curve of the body on each side. The bass side's curve is up higher than the treble side's, which is typical to the Jazz bass body.  The curves on a P bass are symmetrical.

kidgloves2 said:
Is this the only headstock shape you're offering? I like it, but I'm just curious. It's similar to Lakland's headstock.
Yep.  Around here we call this the "Warhead", though I'm not crazy about the name.  We offer some version of this shape on nearly all of our necks by special request, and everything that's not a Fender replacement part (like this) gets it too.

G4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A super comfortable, styling, G4 32" scale bass would be so totally rocking.

You likey 32"?

8930_179579418766_569893766_3764501_4297693_n.jpg

You likey 30" more?

12741_184066083766_569893766_3806380_2129090_n.jpg

Man, those ones look nice! Those are custom bodies, right? I'm surprised high-quality flame maple was used

Those look amazing! I was down at GC trying some bass amps recently and I briefly played a few of the short scales they had - bronco, hofner, and SG (sorry Jack I don't remember the code name). I wasn't impressed by any of them, maybe partly because I'm getting more used to the full scale. I'm going to have to tune my bass down 1/2 step and slap on a capo at 1 to see if a high quality short scale is something to put on the list.

Like anything, it's a preference.  It seems most semi-hollow basses are shortscale for some reason.  I wanted a semi-hollow, which meant it was a shortscale.  Got rid of it, couldn't stand the feel of it.  That's just me though.

Blue313 said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
It seems most semi-hollow basses are shortscale for some reason. 
Might help with neck dive.  :dontknow:

That makes sense.  I guess I would've gotten rid of it for that reason too, instead it was because of the scale.  Nothing dives as much as a Rickenbacker 360/12, they seem to be doing okay.

I kept looking over this thread, thinking bigger is better and planning a 35" J bass... until I picked up a little used Epiphone SG bass at GC. 30" scale, I thought my little sister would like it... that thing was so much fun to play I sat there over an hour just messing with it. Didn't sound the greatest with just the neck humbucker, but it was super comfy.

Do we have an ETA for these? I'm definitely down for knocking 3" off my plans.

I spent a few days with my 34" bass detuned 1/2 step and capo at 1 - that's roughly the equivalent of a 32" bass. It didn't feel too floppy, and it was a bit more comfortable to play on the lower frets. Sounded about the same, to be honest, and if I went up to the next string gauge I'm sure it would feel great. I also tried it tuned a full step lower and capo 2, which was too floppy for my tastes, and a 30" scale is even a touch shorter than that. I do think bass strings need some real string tension to sound good, but maybe 30" is enough if you use thick strings.

I'm wondering if they'll make the necks a bit thinner on these than they are on the standard W bass necks, to go along with the smaller size. But this is definitely on my watch list. If I get any W gift certs this year, it'll be one of these, or the carved tele, most likely.

Back