Shopping around for a new amp, and....

I can say for sure that anything I buy over around $800 will NOT be a "just getting started with tube amps" amp, but more one I hope to use for a very long time. I might be a budding guitar whore but for what some of those amps cost it's a once-a-decade purchase at best.

Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try to try out some of these if I see them find them, my list just got a little longer.

I do have some experience with the Mesa MkIII though, I used that a ton years ago (wasn't mine) and it was pretty much what I was into.

jay4321 said:
I can say for sure that anything I buy over around $800 will NOT be a "just getting started with tube amps" amp, but more one I hope to use for a very long time. I might be a budding guitar whore but for what some of those amps cost it's a once-a-decade purchase at best.

Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try to try out some of these if I see them find them, my list just got a little longer.

I do have some experience with the Mesa MkIII though, I used that a ton years ago (wasn't mine) and it was pretty much what I was into.

Well, if you get a chance to check the Single Recti combo don't pass it up. It may be a little out of your price range though. I know it sells new over here in Japan at $2300.00. You know that Mesa has an outlet store? Go to their home page and there will be a link. www.mesaboogie.com
MULLY

Those big names are using serious gear.  If you're a stage player at festivals try a 200 watt vintage super six. It's all tube and super tough, you'll play it to the grave.  If playing at home buy the z or other small boutique tube amp (fralin amp) with a quality pedal.  Mesas dual and triple rectifiers get some serious metal tones. But those tones in ten years? Maybe you'll love those tones.  Member metallica?  Consider pure tube tone first, then build. 

Peavey just came out with the 6505+ in a single 12" combo for $600, it WILL be my next amp!

593205.jpg

bassfrancesco said:
Those big names are using serious gear.  If you're a stage player at festivals try a 200 watt vintage super six. It's all tube and super tough, you'll play it to the grave.  If playing at home buy the z or other small boutique tube amp (fralin amp) with a quality pedal.  Mesas dual and triple rectifiers get some serious metal tones. But those tones in ten years? Maybe you'll love those tones.  Member metallica?  Consider pure tube tone first, then build. 

Yeah, but in all fairness, for people like us that play at home or have the occasional gig in a small place, 50 watts is plenty. There is a story of a big name star that had an endorsement with Marshall and on stage he had a huge wall of Marshall's lining the stage. Back stage he had a Mesa Boogie Mark II combo, 1 speaker, going through the PA. People don't need all that wattage. Total overkill. But, I know how it feels. When I was younger and playing out more I had a half stack that I took with me. Nowadays if I play out I try to keep the things I carry as light as possible.
MULLY

upnorthbacon said:
Peavey just came out with the 6505+ in a single 12" combo for $600, it WILL be my next amp!

593205.jpg

I bet that's going to be nice. Let us know how it sounds when you get it. I used to play through a 5150II head and it really does rate right up there with the Mesa Recti.
MULLY

I will have to check out that Peavey also, but I hope it sounds better than the VK. I very nearly bought one, then I tried it out - can't imagine why they're so popular.

I have a "6150" amp model in my Line 6 Pod3, and that sounds pretty good. Not the same as the real thing I know, but enough to pique my interested in that 112.

Would an Egnater combo be too expensive? They have a wattage attentuator built into their amps, you can dial in 1 watt if you need to be quiet, but drive the amp hard for the overdriven sound?

Currently hawking this cool piece of gear:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320482460579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It checks out as legit too.

Volitions Advocate said:
I'm sure anything you buy from that seller would be quite legit. although beat to hell if you've ever seen them play live.

I have seen them. And I do I like newer stuff, but I'll make an exception for a cab. Especially a nice "conversation piece" like this one, assuming the price is reasonable.

Guess I'll find out in a few hours.

Oh god I got sniped and lost by $5.

They had two Mesa cabs and I tried for both, but they ran the auctions to end at the exact same time (to the second). I'd have easily paid more for either one but I was trying to watch both. One of the winners has a whopping 3 feedback, I can only hope he's a deadbeat.

Back