Sharing a photo I love...

Strummin12

Hey!

I don't post here often, despite my insatiable lust for Warmoth guitars since the 80's! So, please forgive me if this is not the proper section to post this photo. I know there is a 'gallery' (Love it!), but I'm not looking to show off my particular model guitar...I just want to share this photo of PART of my guitar.

I have this as my "lock" screen on my phone, and shot it with just my iPhone. Damn, like a proud Warmoth papa, it makes me super happy to see this photo multiple times per day! They say our phones give us a 'dopamine hit' every time we respond to a text. I know why I get that hit! LOL!

Honestly, multiple things about this shot really do it for me...but mostly just seeing the detail of the quality workmanship up close, coupled with the beautiful straight grain of the neck against that beautiful tobacco burst color. I'm no photographer, but thought my fellow addicts might understand my love of this pic!

Cheers, and have a great day!
Johnny

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpg
    IMG_5882.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 310
I am a prolific taker of mediocre guitar pictures myself, so I sure can appreciate a good one, very nice!

That is a great photo. And I totally get it with pictures you manage to take - even with your phone - that just resonates with you and makes you happy. So much in fact that this is a perfect place to share such photos. The start of a long thread perhaps? I'll contribute with one of mine - also taken with my phone.

146502783202556700_resized.jpg

I understand the "point 'n' shoot" consumer camera market is drying up fast since the cameras in phones have gotten so good.

Cagey said:
I understand the "point 'n' shoot" consumer camera market is drying up fast since the cameras in phones have gotten so good.

One of the better ad campaigns I have seen recently was from Apple / iPhone.
It is a series of 6-7 photos (some repeated for something like 16 ad placements) all along a long subway corridor in NYC.
They are self portraits done on an iPhone, all blown up to about 24 X 36.
While there was certainly some production editing, the ads do speak very well for the quality of the camera- the resolution and lens are capable of producing significantly good photos.

Those art/detail pics are cool, guys.

It's really amazing the photos those new phones can take.

Cagey said:

Yep. When I bought my first smart phone about 2.5 yrs. ago, (Samsung Galaxy S5 new old stock ebay)
I thought of it as buying a great camera with a phone attached.

The better smartphone camera's today are really awesome. It's an exception nowadays when either my significant other or I have a 'real' camera with us. But somehow, there are still a number of things I feel more comfortable doing with my DSLR, even though the one I have is becoming pretty outdated. For one thing, for all the advances that have been made in sensors and optics, there are only so many photons going through that minuscule round of plastic compared to the 50 or so mm diameter of a DSLR lens. And where the zoom on the DSLR actually changes the focal length, on a smartphone camera it just crops the image to a cutout of the original. I'm getting a hunkering to return to analog film actually, and if I run into a really good deal on a medium format camera I might just go that path.

The only way I'd consider going back to analog film vs. digital is if I was shooting for very large format prints. I mean, like 16x24 or larger. Otherwise, any advantages analog had are long gone. Resolution, dynamic range, noise level, etc. are all superior in digital now unless you go to medium/large format film.

Back