Share a tip thread

jerryjg

Heres a tip I just discovered. How to tighten a string tree? Thats a bit of a problem for me cause you try and tighten the screw down and the whole tree truns. If you try and use a pair of , say, needle nose pliers to grab the tree while you screw the screw, you can either dmamge the finish, and/or bend the tree...plus it's a very awkward procedure; fairly rarely works.
So heres what i did ; I was trying to tighten the string tree screws which had both worked themselves somewhat loose, and was wondering  about how to go about it, then I see this fork on the table, and BAM!- Eureka! ;  I get the idea to slide the fork onto the "branch" of the the string tree. . Worked perfectly! It held the tree from turning and since it exerts no upward force on the fragile metal of the string tree there is no issues with bending.
Errr, just make sure to  clean the fork first. I got some liver and onions all over the string tree~ :toothy11:

Now share a tip you discovered or heard about that isnt well known..

Here's a tip which I think most already know :

Question : How to remove volume/tone knobs on a Strat ?

Solution : Use two teaspoons, one on each side, to lift the knob by prying at the bottom of the skirt where the knob meets the pickguard or body.

Next tip.........................

Thnaks. I also had anohter idea tonight..but it isnt guitar rel;ated. "Butt Spray". What do you think?

I also have a silverware-related tip... you can use a spoon or butter knife to pull the bridge pins from an acoustic.

Hold a silver spoon in your mouth while chopping onions.  Stops the tears..............No I'm not joking!  :sign13:

When doing web design, DIV's will often go the entire width of the available area, while SPAN's will take up the space of the contents.

If you don't remember what that "good idea" you had with your friends was, don't ask.

From the words of Willie Dixon, here's a survival tip :

It could be a spoonful of water
To save you from the desert sand
But one spoon of love1 from my forty-five
Will save you from another man

But be careful :

Men lie about that spoonful
Some cry about that spoonful
Some die about that spoonful
Everybody fight about a spoonful
That spoon, that spoon, that spoonful
That spoon, that spoon, that spoonful

I guess this is a tip, it might be, "Duh" for everyone else.  For strpped strapbutton screw holes, I fill the holes with glue and match sticks.

...and don't stand up in a canoe.

Scrape the lead off a pencil into the string grooves at the nut to prevent binding.

Also- Found this out the hard way while traveling between gigs years ago and I was in too big of a hurry to stop and go to the bathroom.

Don't try peeing into an empty soft drink can while driving. One big bump and......

blimpo said:
Scrape the lead off a pencil into the string grooves at the nut to prevent binding.

Or scribble in the nut slots with a mechanical pencil... that's what I do

Here's a serious one...............

When screwing on the neck bolts for the first time on a new neck, scrape the screws against a candle.  This will lubricate the screws and wood to make the screws go in easier.  You can actually do this to all screws including the tremolo mounting screws.

Speaking of tremolo screws..........

On a vintage style tremolo, screw in the outer two mounting screws first (near the Lo-E and Hi-E) to balance tremolo "float" and height. Then, screw in the other 4 leaving them slightly higher than the outer two for looks and some distribution of support.

Tuning forks work great to verify weird wiring combos.  Just strike it and hold it over the selected pickup to simulate string vibration.

True story, as a touist never carry in excess if $100 on your person in a third wolrd country....or any country for that matter

The best place to hide money from the wife is NOT rolled up in the barrel of your service revolver.

ByteFrenzy said:
The best place to hide money from the wife is NOT rolled up in the barrel of your service revolver.

Wow, some of you guys must live really strange lives.

My tips, few though they are:
- be relaxed when playing
- be relaxed before playing
- don't worry about "vintage"

Put a speaker magnet in a sock to clean up the little fuzzies you get when using steel wool. Works great.

To really seat a neck in the pocket, let the strings do the pulling! Loosen the neck screws a 1/4 turn, let it creak, check the alignment... re-tighten. If there's no "creak", you were perfect already. Here's the Gear Page link:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=456627
Here it is in the G&L manual - (PDF download) - page 5, step #8.
http://www.glguitars.com/faq/GLmanual.pdf

toe nail clippers work great for stripping those tiny wires on 4 conductor pickups.

Back