Share a tip thread

Shop carefully for tools, and you'll be able to have MORE :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: Those $25 feeler gauges that Stew-Mac sells can be had for $12 at your hardware or auto supply store... not to pick on them (well yes) this thread:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6982.0
mentions their $22 fret rocker - it's a little flat thing 3" long, and their $34 "fret leveler" - it's a flat heavy thing. I use a 6" knife sharpening block, with wet/dry paper wrapped around it... Some of their tools are indispensable, like a crowning file, some of them are really neat-o like their sanding stick and the string lifter:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Special_tools_for:_Nuts_and_saddles/String_Lifter.html
But you don't need to pay $11.33 for a 6" steel shop ruler, it's the same one your hardware store has for $2.99.
If you keep an eye out for weird little files, clamps and pliers at the bargain bins you'll have more than you can imagine in no time.  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

- Your choppers (teeth) work great for stripping those really wee wires.

- When prodding around in a live amp's guts for troubleshooting/biasing, keep one hand in your pocket (or sit on it)
at all times (or as much as possible).

- Tiny alligator clips work great as heat sinks whenst soldering.

- Never underestimate the coolness factor of teflon wire.

- Don't run with scissors.

Here's a no-Brainer I'm sure I'm the last to figure out.

When removing your Warmoth neck,(strat) because you gotta get the pick guard off. Place a capo on the strings near the nut, prop the trem forward. unbolt the neck.. etc...

Re assemble in reverse order, guitar will be surprisingly close to in tune

Work on the guitar at the kitchen table only when the wife is at yoga class or shoe shopping. Clean up before she gets home.....

Get a paypal account with an associated mastercard / debit card, save your GAS money in paypal and you can buy nearly anything using the mastercard including at shops like W that don't take paypal.

run a mechanical pencil through your nut slots to lube them up - everyone probably knows that, but still.

Buy the ERLEWINE book!

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Don't leave those allen keys on the coffee table you will never see them again.

Especially when you have a 2 year old.. same goes for picks..
actually, don't leave anything on the coffee table when you have a 2 year old

oops, he turned 3 this wednesday  :icon_biggrin:
and is now the same height as Max..

If you get the pukes, after emptying your stomach, if you think it ain't over drink water.

This'll avoid the "dry heaves".

Dry heaves do help tighten those abs though... :confused4:

Dont pick up a soldering iron by the pointy end.

My finger still has an awesome blister.  :doh:

Marko said:

my son turned 3 in january, and yeah you can't leave anything around because everything belongs to them, by default.  :laughing7:

GoDrex said:
Marko said:

my son turned 3 in january, and yeah you can't leave anything around because everything belongs to them, by default.  :laughing7:

I would bet a soldering iron would fit in that description. 

to go with jims comment, always make sure the lead running to your soldering iron doesn't get hooked on any drawer handles. because when you go to use said soldering iron, it may just get caught, do a backflip, and leave third degree burns along your knuckles. and no, i have no idea how i learned this tip  :tard:

rightintheface said:
to go with jims comment, always make sure the lead running to your soldering iron doesn't get hooked on any drawer handles. because when you go to use said soldering iron, it may just get caught, do a backflip, and leave third degree burns along your knuckles. and no, i have no idea how i learned this tip  :tard:

Ouch.

Back