Sg bass idea

JimBeed

So i posted another post about the pick ups, so i thought i may aswell put up what my hopeful specs are for this bass, and tell you more about it, get some feed back, ideas, improvements, the general pre spending lots of money on what you want to be a great instrument kinda thing. so here it goes

Body Specs:
Sg Bass
34 in Scale
Right Handed
Swamp Ash
Rear Routed Control Cavity
Pick ups - explained later
Volume and tone - 1 and 1 at least depending on pick ups
Hardtail Bridge
Bad Ass III String through body or some other String through body Bridge
7/8" Side
Standard 4 Bolt
Contoured Heel
Transparent Purple top and back.

Neck Specs:
L.P Bass
Angled Super Bass
34 in Scale
Purpleheart with Purpleheart
Right handed
1 1/2" nut width
Standard back shape
straight 10" Radius
24 Frets? or 21?
6100 frets? or are any better?
GB7's
abalone face dots
White Corian?
Standard 4 Bolt

Well there you go, ones with question marks i would like advice on please. and as for the pick ups well i currently own a epiphone thunderbird and a fender precision, but what i would be hoping to achive is something in the middle for instance with these characteristics of each
Thunderbird:
Heavy sound from pick ups
Different Look/Style
Precision:
Easier to play neck, hence the jazz bass nut width,
easier access to higher up notes
Cleanness of precision pick up sounds.

so any ideas of what pick ups to put into this thing?
Also hoping to compliment it with black hardware, are any of the options i chose not avaliable in black, once again a theme from the thunderbird more than precision.
oh and going to fix it up with flatwounds for some added playability. greatly help on the thunderbird.

I'm not much of a bass guy, so I can't say much on the hardware.
The purpleheart and the purple finish may not go well together. We've had someone try to match them recently, and even if you get the top and neck matched, the neck will get darker. Go for something that compliments it, IMO.

hey dont worry bout it, wanted peoples honest opinions :) (up to the not insulting my choices point hehe) but hmm would something in wenge and ebony be a good idea? likely still be a custom order as rarely have L.P necks like that,

Wenge/ebony is a board favorite.  I really love the feel on mine but it's 24.75" conversion scale guitar not a 34" scale bass, so I can't speak on its tone.

They're both on the hefty side so make sure to get ultralight tuners to help counter neck dive.

Why not do a Purpleheart laminate top?
That seems like a much more desirable option than trans purple paint.

Max said:
The purpleheart and the purple finish may not go well together. We've had someone try to match them recently, and even if you get the top and neck matched, the neck will get darker. Go for something that compliments it, IMO.

I happen to be a huge purple guitar guy and I am in total agreement.  The purpleheart neck and purple finish will be a challenge. 
If you do some searches, you will see the attempts at matching this combination in the past. 
I am in total agreement that you should look for complementing colors rather than trying to match everything to the same color. 

JimBeed said:
but hmm would something in wenge and ebony be a good idea? likely still be a custom order as rarely have L.P necks like that,

If you truly want a purple guitar, then the wenge/ebony neck that you mentioned should look great.  Very nice complementing colors.

line6man said:

That being said, a purpleheart laminate top would be beautiful.  It will not be a stand-out purple top because it will not keep the same color. 
However, it is a really sweet wood and I think would be fantastic.  Again, do some searches on the forum and you will see some great examples of purpleheart tops.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Be sure you are postin' pics of your build when you get it started.
:rock-on:

check out orpheo's purpleheart topped LP, absolutely gorgeous, but I don't think that it matches most of the purpleheart necks that I've seen.

line6man said:
Thanks for the advice, and well was looking for something that would stand out alot more, and trans purple seems the cheapest way of doing this, but saying that there are some other purples, aswell as doing a laminate top with purple on that and a black back with burst over?

Back