Setting up your Tremolo or Floyd Rose

My Schecter (Schecter licensed "Hot Rod" FR) does not flutter. Bridge is level. It's strung 10-42w3 tuned to Eb three springs, bridge is level.

No muffled springs or stabilizers, fully floating. I get a half a warble but it dies instantly. Is there anything I can do to get a longer flutter? High mass block? Not sure if 2 springs is an option w 10's or not, haven't tried but given where the claw sits with 3 I kinda doubt it

My Schecter (Schecter licensed "Hot Rod" FR) does not flutter. Bridge is level. It's strung 10-42w3 tuned to Eb three springs, bridge is level.

No muffled springs or stabilizers, fully floating. I get a half a warble but it dies instantly. Is there anything I can do to get a longer flutter? High mass block? Not sure if 2 springs is an option w 10's or not, haven't tried but given where the claw sits with 3 I kinda doubt it

The licensed Schechter is not a German made Floyd Rose Hot Rod, perhaps that may be the issue. Have you checked the knife edges etc?

On Floyd's I tend towards 9 - 42 with an unwound 3rd string.

The trick to flutter is to use the "chicken foot" spring arrangement:

Code:
Claw
 / | \
Block

The trick to flutter is to use the "chicken foot" spring arrangement:

Code:
Claw
 / | \
Block

genuinely curious why this would be the case. i can get some mad flutters with my three-parallel-spring Floyd's all day every day. if I wanted more I would just go to 2 parallel springs. 9-42s are ideal.

i have yet to see any compelling evidence or science suggesting the triangle style is better for anything. like, my nephew calls using a cane while wearing colorful hophat and tails "wonka maxxing" but i don't necessarily believe him

I took this bit of info and started searching. The two possible reasons are 1) it lengthens the spring so the equilibrium point is not so close to the compression end (which will definitely kill it if it hits full stop even momentarily). 2) I haven't seen this but based on parallel tank circuits (this is a mechanical one), the more springs in parallel, the more they differ slightly from one another and this broadens the resonant peak and also bleeds energy.

Okay - I can't get 10's down to 2 springs even in Eb but I did angle my springs (all three, trying to keep the length consistent) and it's noticeably more flutter. My arm is still a bit loose - and I've also read that can kill it - basically anything that can rattle and not just pivot as a unit will decouple the resonance (indeed, that's how you make a vibration damper). Can't find the allen wrench for that at the moment, but I'm happier. You can at least tell that I meant to do a flutter and didn't just accidentally bump the bar.

Last edited:
it's weird, for more flutter you'd want less tension, right? but putting those outer springs at an angle lengthens them and increases tension. that's why two parallel springs owns. But i can totally see it not playing nice with strings heavier than 9-42

I don't think the amount of tension matters for flutter, at least on its own. A single spring that reaches equilibrium with the bridge level at enough tension that the spring never compresses at max pullup should be the theoretical ideal. More mass on the block lowers the resonant frequency of the flutter, and provides some inertia to the system in motion.

I'm not sure why string gauge would matter, outside of being able to go to two springs stretched all the way out.

genuinely curious why this would be the case. i can get some mad flutters with my three-parallel-spring Floyd's all day every day. if I wanted more I would just go to 2 parallel springs. 9-42s are ideal.

i have yet to see any compelling evidence or science suggesting the triangle style is better for anything. like, my nephew calls using a cane while wearing colorful hophat and tails "wonka maxxing" but i don't necessarily believe him
I was told that it makes the springs unbalanced which helps the bridge flutter because of the differing return rates on the springs.

my private and (admittedly anecdotal) testing this past weekend still puts me in the camp that believes low tension in the springs is the key to a big flutter. i tried the claw pattern, 3 parallel, 2 in a V, 2 parallel on the outer most positions and 2 parallel on the 2/4 holes and the last one gave me the dankest fluctuations. i didn't even consider some sorta asymmetrical spring arrangement until just now, like whoa, time to get wild. i had a lot of good idea this weekend, like putting holy water (I got a guy) into My GF's humidifier at night. why? basically vampire nerve agent at that point. bring it on, darcula

I recorded and toured the west coast with a band in the 90’s/early 2000’s called Gateway which eventually became Prodigal Son. We had hard copy cds at our shows, they all out of print and we never signed up for any streaming services because of the insulting payout amounts. I retired at the age of 35 from touring back in 2002, but still continued to write/record. My current project, WÖR Party (14 songs) is off being mixed as we speak, looking at a spring release once the mixing, artwork, and marketing tools are in place. I partner with a bass player, and I do all the guitars, vocals, keys, and drum programming. This is the first time that I’ve been able to incorporate some of my more traditional Native heritage into a modern setting, so, we’ve got a couple of songs that sound a bit like a Heavy Metal Pow Wow mashup.

Prodigal Son always got compared to Metallica/Queensryche, but since those days, I’ve departed from that sound, and revisited some of my prog influences like Tool, Soundgarden, Fates Warning.

We‘re already 10 songs into development of WP 2.0, diving even deeper into prog, but have no agenda on this per se.

I‘ll be posting as release gets closer as part of our planned marketing prior to release, which initially will be direct digital purchase, then after we hit a certain threshold, that will fund the printing of CD’s. I’ll try to find my link to my Soundclick page with prior material and post it in the appropriate section later.

From here, this discussion should take place in its proper forum section. Mods, you can relocate this post if you fell appropriate.

Last edited:
ok ok i think i nailed it. with some alternative spring installations i believe i have fully optimized the flutter in 1 of my guitars

flip over ur guitar and pretend the claw tabs on the claw go from left to right 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and also pretend the holes in the trem block correspond the same way

in this Ibanez rg470 the best flutts come from using two (2) springs. 1 going from claw tab 4 to trem block hole 4 (straight line) and 1 spring going from claw tab 3 to block hole 2 (slight angle). the flutter is mind shattering

but in my Prestige, the best fluttering is by going claw tab 5 to block hole 5 and claw tab 2 to block hole 1. however, this arrangement doesn't return to pitch as reliably so i put it back to two parallel going from 2 to 2 and 4 to 4 (Broccoli Standard Deviation). so get out there and experiment. get weird with it.
I have 4 black FU Tone Heavy Duty springs on my Ibanez 7 string in my avatar and I can get flutter all day long on it.

um, i don't think anyone was or is arguing otherwise... this discussion was just about maximizing the flutterations

its like when tried to explain black holes to a rep at the guitar center. space is like a giant bathtub, see, and you fill it with light and darkness, and blackholes are just where the light drains out. so where does the light go? it goes back into space as light-vapor, and when it condensates, that’s how a sun and stars are formed. if you could put the universe into a tube you'd end up with a very long tube, probably extending twice the size of the universe because when you collapse the universe it expands, but you wouldn't want to actually put it into a tube, for a lot of reasons mostly because it would be really really fun and humanity would stop progressing

Going to try red springs - I would've ordered green if they were in stock, trying to get down to 2 springs, but we'll see if red gets me there.
Hopefully the 'noiseless' damping doesn't kill the flutter.

Two red springs will balance 10's in Eb. But man... it was a bear getting them suckers in there. I can't imagine trying to install the green springs (or why they would come in a set of three). Flutter is improved and respectable at this point. Not long enough to pull off some of the examples I've heard, but it doesn't immediately die. I think, given the 'special' nature of the Schecter, if I do anything further I'll probably drop a Gotoh in there.

Back