September 2017 Guitar of the Month Contest Submissions

Wow - always been curious about scalloping. But the grain revealed by the scallop - that's tempting me.

I know what you mean. I've been tempted before too, for the same reason. But, for as much as I like mungo frets, a scalloped 'board is a whole 'nother thing. I think if you got used to it, it might be tough to play anything else. The feel is very different.

These are all really intriguing entries and everyone of them is quite impressive in its own right, but there is one that stands above the rest for me. For a change, I think this months decision might not keep me up at night.....

Cagey said:
a scalloped 'board is a whole 'nother thing.

Like trampolines for your fingers, the impact is smooth, buoyant, and comfortable. The transition is not as difficult as you might think as long as you take your time and you want to believe in the scalloped board. It's the 2-TEK bridge that is the ruiner of guitars. It's just incredible. It's the FUTURE! I wish they all could be California Girls 2TEK bridges  :guitaristgif:

I play 6100-sized fretwire on all my guitars, so I appreciate and am used to the feel of tall frets. The control you have is second to none, and of course the ease of playing is welcome. Properly set up, you can fly on fretboards so equipped. But, a full scallop just takes it a bit too far for me. While tall frets tend to get the fretboard more or less out of your way, you can still feel it. The total loss of any indication that a fretboard exists that scalloping brings is a bridge too far. I suspect someone came up with that idea before the very large wire that's available today existed.

I'm actually curious right now about 6230 on a 7.25" radius Tele, strung heavy and low. My SRV wannabe days are over.

If I had to play something like that, I'd likely just give up the instrument.

I have two scalloped Strats, and when I transition to the more vintage type frets on non-scalloped boards, it seems a little odd at first. Although I tend to play different types of things on those fiddles.

I gotta couple myself.
Still able to play conventional necks. Still prefer the larger fretwire over anything.

I'm curious as to how much weight gets shaved off from scalloping a neck.

Might be something worth measuring the next neck that comes through with an order for full scallop. I'm sure its not a lot, but every bit helps with some of these heavier woods (and wider nuts). Might be a good selling point to list on the website  :sign13:

Back