Scratch in roasted maple headstock

slowpogo2021

Finally mounted my Warmoth roasted maple neck after having to plug and redrill the mounting holes. I was a bit scared doing that process but it turned out perfectly...only for me to put a few light scratches on the headstock with my truss rod wrench :/ The angle of light in my room was such that I didn't even realize I was doing it; the scratches disappear from certain angles.

Will steel wool or light sanding remove the scratch? or will that create a different look or color in that spot? The scratch will likely be mostly covered by a decal but it still bugs me that it's there lol

Not seeing the details hard to say. I'd thin down some clear nail polish with acetone and use a tiny brush to cover the scratch.

I'd personally attempt the steam trick: wet paper towel + soldering iron (need to be very careful with that) or steam iron (better).
Incredible for dings, but should work great for such a light surface mark as well.
That should raise those wood fibers again, repeat if needed. And you can then proceed with light sanding; removing the tuners would be best for a consistent look on the entire headstock.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/olu2_-V7ws0[/youtube]

slowpogo2021 said:
Thanks. Here's a photo
Yea. That's a very light scratch and the "steam trick" is for dents as far as I know.
If thre's no finish on there then I'd *guess* that you could remove that by lightly sanding with 400 grit sand paper.

I'd go the sanding route, but really, I'd leave it.  That's what you call character.

rick2 said:
I'd go the sanding route, but really, I'd leave it.  That's what you call character.

I might just leave it. Especially considering how easily it happened, other scratches seem inevitable.

Another vote for leaving it. A decal and the strings will hide that a fair bit. And over time you will probably get some more there anyway, when string ends are loose when changing strings.

Steve_Karl said:
slowpogo2021 said:
Thanks. Here's a photo
Yea. That's a very light scratch and the "steam trick" is for dents as far as I know.

It really depends on the type of scratch: whether the scratch removed wood fibers or just pressed fibers in (like dents).
For this scratch I'm 95% confident it'd work.

The scratch will sand out easily enough, and roasted Maple is the same color throughout so you shouldn't leave a mark. I'd use some 320, then see how it looks.

Back