Scratch in roasted maple headstock

slowpogo2021

Finally mounted my Warmoth roasted maple neck after having to plug and redrill the mounting holes. I was a bit scared doing that process but it turned out perfectly...only for me to put a few light scratches on the headstock with my truss rod wrench :/ The angle of light in my room was such that I didn't even realize I was doing it; the scratches disappear from certain angles.

Will steel wool or light sanding remove the scratch? or will that create a different look or color in that spot? The scratch will likely be mostly covered by a decal but it still bugs me that it's there lol

Sadie-f

Not seeing the details hard to say. I'd thin down some clear nail polish with acetone and use a tiny brush to cover the scratch.

docteurseb

I'd personally attempt the steam trick: wet paper towel + soldering iron (need to be very careful with that) or steam iron (better).
Incredible for dings, but should work great for such a light surface mark as well.
That should raise those wood fibers again, repeat if needed. And you can then proceed with light sanding; removing the tuners would be best for a consistent look on the entire headstock.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/olu2_-V7ws0[/youtube]

Steve_Karl

slowpogo2021 said:
Thanks. Here's a photo
Yea. That's a very light scratch and the "steam trick" is for dents as far as I know.
If thre's no finish on there then I'd *guess* that you could remove that by lightly sanding with 400 grit sand paper.

Rick

I'd go the sanding route, but really, I'd leave it.  That's what you call character.

slowpogo2021

rick2 said:
I'd go the sanding route, but really, I'd leave it.  That's what you call character.

I might just leave it. Especially considering how easily it happened, other scratches seem inevitable.

Re-Pete

Another vote for leaving it. A decal and the strings will hide that a fair bit. And over time you will probably get some more there anyway, when string ends are loose when changing strings.

docteurseb

Steve_Karl said:
slowpogo2021 said:
Thanks. Here's a photo
Yea. That's a very light scratch and the "steam trick" is for dents as far as I know.

It really depends on the type of scratch: whether the scratch removed wood fibers or just pressed fibers in (like dents).
For this scratch I'm 95% confident it'd work.

Cagey

The scratch will sand out easily enough, and roasted Maple is the same color throughout so you shouldn't leave a mark. I'd use some 320, then see how it looks.