Scratch Build in Progress

Here's a photo of an actual 70'e Wide Range Humbucker with the cover off. The coils are not like a P Bass, they are full size, in fact, almost exactly the same width and length of a Telecaster bridge pickup coil. But they're shorter. Please don't make discreditting claims without knowing your facts. I have worked very hard on this project and I'm not just spouting empty non-sense.

Picture+003lo-res.jpg

Anyway, I have just about finished the neck tenon fitmant on my L6-S project and with any luck, will have the guitar test assembled by the end of next week. I'll put it together and then playing at rehearsal one night, then take it all apart and send it out for a transparent red finish, like an SG.

I'll post some photos in a few days. It's getting close, and I can't wait to hear it!

OK, here's some photos!

Here we are setting the bridge position. After gluing the neck on and taking some measurements, my neck is off center by 1/32". That's why you always wait to drill the bridge stud holes until AFTER the neck has been set! Still, I'm very pleased with 1/32". Not too shabby.
I used the white string to see where the guitar strings would end up ion relation to the edge of the fret board. The metal square is used to transfer the new center line to the body and then layout the stud holes.
aL6-SProject009.jpg

Here's a nice healty volute to strengthen the head stock. This one ain't never gonna snap off!
aL6-SProject032.jpg

And here's the guitar layed out with some of the hardware sitting on it.
aL6-SProject018.jpg

I weighed the guitar and harware all together today and it looks like this one is going to weigh a nice 7 1/2 lbs when it's all together. That's just about right!

Well I can't hear 'em but they certainly look the sh*t!  Well done sir.   :guitaristgif:  But why not use adjustable pole-pieces?  Wouldn't it be easier than all that grinding and shaping to fake it?

(Edit: Talking about your pickups, by the way.  Cool guitar too :))

(Edit 2: Oh snap, you got schooled CB! ;))

The inspiration for this guitar is that, I want the roar of a thin, mahogany body SG, but I want it in a guitar that balances properly. So, the color is going to be transparent red, like an SG, with a 5 ply black pickguard.

The pickups are a Seymour Duncan Custom V bridge, and a Seymour Duncan '59 neck. I bought a pair of Allparts chrome covers to solder on there to get the look of the original L6-S pickups. The guys at Seymour Duncan said the tonal difference would be negligable.

The wiring will probably be two volumes and on master tone.

I also strayed from the original L6-S in that my input jack is on the side of the guitar, not the top.

Looking forward to gittin'er together and rippin some tunes!

Telenator said:
The inspiration for this guitar is that, I want the roar of a thin, mahogany body SG, but I want it in a guitar that balances properly. So, the color is going to be transparent red, like an SG, with a 5 ply black pickguard.

Don't do it  :sad1:

Telenator said:
Don't do what? Build the guitar? Or finish it in transparent red like an SG?

NT's always talking about the pickguard.  I think he has a phobia around plastic... :icon_jokercolor:

Telenator said:
Don't do what? Build the guitar? Or finish it in transparent red like an SG?

Trans red and pickguard.... Althought the pickguard can look cool, depending in how is the shape and the color...
But trans red looks like ass  :tard:

"around" plastic? hummmmm Don't sound as something that I would like :laughing7:

The pickguard will be the small, standard pickguard normally found on an L6-S. Mine will be 5 ply though, like it was on the SG back in the day. As for the trans red finish, I understand some people don't like certain finishes but I'm going for a traditional theme here and since this guitar sort of pays tribute to the SG, the vintage trans red finish is pretty much pre-determined.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/gibsonL6S.php

Now if you want to talk ugly, Antigua takes the cake every time in my book! Rickenbacker's Montezuma Brown is right up there on the gag list too.

Sorry man, no offense but antigua makes a guitar look like a kitchen appliance from the 70's. I guess we all just like different things.

Back