Score!!

Tonar8352

I got real lucky and scored this 1967 Blackface Pro Reverb today.  It smokes!!!  I can’t even tell you how much it smokes but it smokes!!!

IMG_3971.jpg

And you've got a t00b rectifier (GZ34) in there as well... squishy, touch-sensitive goodness.  :icon_thumright:

Wow, where are you guys getting these things? I was just at 30th st music in NYC, they had three or four blackface deluxes and pros but all were trashed looking and $2000 or so. If you happen to see a Princeton for sale that you're not interested in, give me a holler please. Congrats on the great score! Looks like you'll need to build a new strat to play it though now.  :icon_jokercolor:

... hasn't been recovered has it?

It is origional and clean but it will need a good going over by my amp tech to make sure we have the best tubes in it and make sure it is stage worthy.  I heard about this amp six months ago from my amp tech and was told that it was a tone monster.  I had been looking for the chance to play it just to hear if it lived up to the hype.  I got a call from the owner last night that he needed to liquidate a bunch of gear and he wanted to give me first shot at his inventory.  Since I could not talk him out of the 59 Bassman I jumped at the chance to get this one.  It lived up to the hype so I made a great deal and it followed me home.  I’m glad I got it but I really want his all original 59 Bassman, he told I get first shot if he ever decides to let it go.

Alot of this is "who ya know".  A friend on a BBS had a friend at work who found his old amp when clearing out his mom's house.

For the record, I paid $1300 (+ $100 shipping) for mine, and with the exception of the speaker scratches/etc and the speaker wire, it's near-mint.

As well, all the t00bs are original.

Hanging out on a vintage gear BBS is one way to keep your eyes peeled for deals.

E-Bay, especially nowadays, is a crap-shoot.

Networking is where it's at.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Are you gonna Paisley up that amp?  Because if you did, that would be pretty sweet.

I think I can get some paisley grill cloth.  Just say the word...

Well, you gotta figure all the guys who saw themselves as the next Donald Trump were filling their spare rooms full of old amps while they were still "cheap" back in the 1990's and earlier this century... Even Barrons and the WSJ were touting guitars as investment material. And now the economy's tanked, and you can only play through four amps at once anyways. (oh yes.... :evil4:)

What I've noticed (watching old Marshalls on Ebay) is how very inflated (so far) people's ideas of their worth are. Hardly any of these old amps actually sell, as they never meet the reserve. (I would never personally buy an "authentic" amp without seeing it first....) A re-adjustment period is underway, to say the least. The consensus on guitars is that the really fine, super-valuable ones will hold the value, but the refinished ones, the off-models like a Gibson L5S* etc. may come back to earth. No more $5,000 1977 Strats, tsk tsk.
Counterfeiting is reaching orgiastic new heights, as all the guides to identifying an authentic model can be reverse-read too.... :blob7:

*(Great guitars, but great 1976 guitars)

I know this isn't the point of your post, but what is so great about '70s Fenders anyway.  People fawn over them and want a '74 this, or '72 that.  Last I checked, most people were not fond of the 3-bolt micro-tilt necks or bullet trussrods.  Not to mention, everything I've ever read about that era says the QC was lacking.  The neck joints were terrible.  Forgot the three-bolt necks, they could've had six bolts and the neck would still slide around in the pocket.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I know this isn't the point of your post, but what is so great about '70s Fenders anyway.  People fawn over them and want a '74 this, or '72 that.  Last I checked, most people were not fond of the 3-bolt micro-tilt necks or bullet trussrods.  Not to mention, everything I've ever read about that era says the QC was lacking.  The neck joints were terrible.  Forgot the three-bolt necks, they could've had six bolts and the neck would still slide around in the pocket.

Beats me.  Crappy 70's fenders are the reason why I dismissed all fender guitars when I first started playing all those years ago.

And now I play telecasters.  The world is a strange and beautiful place.

Back