Schaller Vintage 3801 Fitment Issues

PDC

Hello - I have searched the forum and read the threads - nothing quite like the situation I faced so I figured I’d start a new thread.

Some time back, I purchased an EVH Stripe Series body for a project - my plan was a Schaller Vintage 3801 with a graphite nut and locking tuners.  When I test fit the bridge, I found that the front of the block contacted the front of the trem route before the knife edges made full contact with the posts.  I ‘think’ in order for the strings to run through the block and pop out through the saddles On the 3801, the block is in a different location Under the trem plate (front to back) than the block on a Floyd.  There was absolutely no way this was going to work without major modification.  Rather than routing up the body, I sourced a genuine Non Locking Floyd which dropped right in - intonated with room to spare in both adjustment directions - and works fine. 

I am working on another build with a non recessed Floyd route and really like the idea of having the strings run through the block like the Schaller - and I like the ‘look’ of the Schaller unit more than the Floyd.  But I don’t want to run into clearance issues with the string block and the trem cavity. I have found threads on this forum where folks have used these trems with a ‘stock’ top mound Floyd route with (apparently) no issues(?). Just looking for feedback from others before I go down this road again.

Thank You!

Found this online during a deep dive on this issue.  At least I’m not the only one:

“This is a quality piece. It will drop right into many Floyd routs, BUT it should be known that it will NOT drop into a Floyd equiped Charvel USA So Cal. Maybe the Mexican ones? But not the USA 'non-recessed' one.

There is 9mm from the block to the knife edge on this unit. So measure if you have the reach.

The post spacing is correct, but the block is so thick that the knife edges will not contact the posts on the USA Charvel So Cal. You will have to route the block cavity toward the posts.“

There are forum members in the past who have used this tremolo. I do not recall any issues using it with a Warmoth body prepared for a Floyd type rout of the type described in this thread.

stratamania said:
There are forum members in the past who have used this tremolo. I do not recall any issues using it with a Warmoth body prepared for a Floyd type rout of the type described in this thread.

Agree - Before posting, I had found a few threads of members who had used the Schaller Vintage and reported no issues.  It would seem that the template for a Floyd route would be pretty ‘industry standard’ Apparently, Warmoth opens up the block cavity a bit more on the front / post side of the route.

Okay it should work out. One I remember was a forum member surfnmusic had one on a seafoam green strat I think.

Greetings,
I'm going through the same issue as you did, or so it looks like.
Did you end up with picking up an available routing option accommodating Schaller Vintage block - if the case, please let me know what it was.
Also, I see the stud spacing for FR and Schaller being 73.99 as per Warmoth but its 74.3 according to both FR and Schaller.
0.31mm difference offsets the knife contact point by 0.155 mm for each stud- not sure if its consequential at all but wonder why Warmoth has it differently than actual manufactures.
Thanks,
Alex.

Back