Schaller tuners in gotoh/grover holes

WarmothRules

I got cheap gotoh tuners on my guitar and if I do any full step bends the string will go out of tune. Will Schaller tuners fit the warmoth gotoh/grover holes?

Schallers are 1/64 of an inch smaller on the backside, should be a simple swap to replace with a slight reaming of the hole.

ibob74 said:
Schallers are 1/64 of an inch smaller on the backside, should be a simple swap to replace with a slight reaming of the hole.

If the schallers are smaller why would the hole need to be bigger?

WarmothRules said:
ibob74 said:

If the schallers are smaller why would the hole need to be bigger?

Uh, sorry brain fart, just swap em'.

Of course, the cheap tuners are not making you go out of tune.

You are :

1.  Not stringing up correctly or
2.  Have too much winding on the post or
3.  Have a tight nut or
4.  Are not stretching in the strings correctly or
5.  You're not "tuning up" to pitch

One misnomer, is to put a lot of wraps on the post "so it really holds well".  This of course, is total nonsense.  You want as LITTLE string on the post as possible.  One full turn is plenty and a half turn is adequate.... IF.... you string up properly.  What happens when you put a lot of wraps on the post - is that the wraps stretch, a sort of bending of the wrap - this will cause lots of tuning woes.

threadstring.JPG

loopstring.JPG

kinkstring.JPG

windstring.JPG

snipend.JPG

(courtesy of Frank Ford, www.frets.com)

See how little string Frank has on the post?  And thats an acoustic where ya don't generally bend.  If the string is locked down, you don't need that much on the peg. 

Be sure you stretch in the strings by pulling them hard at mid string.

Be sure you adequately "tune up"... when going down in pitch to return up, go down more than you think you need to, so that when you go back up to get the correct pitch, you've taken up the slack in the gears.

Because of their design, all tuners cannot "slip".  Its a mechanical impossibility.  The tuner knob has a worm gear on it that drives a "ring gear" on the tuner peg.  Worms can drive rings, but rings cannot, and never will... drive a worm gear.  It just cannot be done, because of the way the gears interact.

Better tuners are smoother.  They are a joy to tune with.  They are not "more accurate", but the smoothness makes tuning easier (assuming your nut is not too tight).  However, no matter the price.......

TUNERS DO NOT SLIP

And cheapo tuners will hold tune as well as any of the expensive ones.

BTW, Gotoh's are good tuners.

By the way, the Warmoth website has some very useful information on tuner holes. Look under 'Guitar', 'Guitar Necks', 'Neck Options', 'Tuner Holes'. It will give you a good idea of what holes can be adapted to accept what tuners.

Oh believe me it's the tuners, never had a problem keeping any of my other guitars in tune, and the strings are not tight at the nut. If I go a full step bend I can almost see the posts move. The tuners where like this from day one even when I had my guitar assembled and tried it out at the store it was going out of tune left and right. I thought it was the new strings, but this problem never went away.

-CB- said:
Of course, the cheap tuners are not making you go out of tune.

You are :

1.  Not stringing up correctly or
2.  Have too much winding on the post or
3.  Have a tight nut or
4.  Are not stretching in the strings correctly or
5.  You're not "tuning up" to pitch

One misnomer, is to put a lot of wraps on the post "so it really holds well".  This of course, is total nonsense.  You want as LITTLE string on the post as possible.  One full turn is plenty and a half turn is adequate.... IF.... you string up properly.  What happens when you put a lot of wraps on the post - is that the wraps stretch, a sort of bending of the wrap - this will cause lots of tuning woes.

See how little string Frank has on the post?  And thats an acoustic where ya don't generally bend.  If the string is locked down, you don't need that much on the peg. 

Be sure you stretch in the strings by pulling them hard at mid string.

Be sure you adequately "tune up"... when going down in pitch to return up, go down more than you think you need to, so that when you go back up to get the correct pitch, you've taken up the slack in the gears.

Because of their design, all tuners cannot "slip".  Its a mechanical impossibility.   The tuner knob has a worm gear on it that drives a "ring gear" on the tuner peg.   Worms can drive rings, but rings cannot, and never will... drive a worm gear.  It just cannot be done, because of the way the gears interact.

Better tuners are smoother.  They are a joy to tune with.  They are not "more accurate", but the smoothness makes tuning easier (assuming your nut is not too tight).  However, no matter the price.......

TUNERS DO NOT SLIP

And cheapo tuners will hold tune as well as any of the expensive ones.

BTW, Gotoh's are good tuners.

Believe ME, its not the tuners.  Canoot be.

wormbearing02.jpg

crackedcog02.jpg

crackedcog01.jpg

Look at how those are made.  ALL tuners are made that way.  Some have a better bearing.  Some have an integral bushing with threaded retainer (makes them VERY smooth, as alignment stays quite precise).  Some are crappy.

None "slip".

Its one of the reasons I've stated, not the tuners.

I've got a question concerning tuners.
I want to order my neck but I'm not decided yet on what tuners to get for it, it's a LP neck and I hesitate between waverly vintage style tuners or gotoh 510 tuners, both apparantly excellent tuners but I'm still not sure about the look.

If I order my neck with the goth/grover tuner hole size, will the waverly fit well into those holes as well?
Or will the 13/32" space on the bottom of the hole in the headstock be a problem, will that loose cause any issue?

Also, if you want to comment on those tuners feel free to give me your opinion.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Back