Schaller 475 Retrofit Question

lannyc

Hi guys.

I've got a Schaller 475 bridge on the way and a Mexican strat body in my possession. Will I have any luck at all retrofitting this bridge?? Or will I need to drill more holes, or worse, get another bridge? I'd really like to use the 475 if possible.

Was wondering the same thing...i found out if your strat is drilled for a tremolo, the screws for the hardtail bridge would go in the part of the body  where the tremolo is routed out,...which is not the best news for either you or me. ...

i had one possible solution pop up.

check it out...maybe?...  :dontknow:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=148

Got this bridge in the mail today.

Screws go down through the trem rout, as noted. That sucks..

Until you realize the holes also match up with the bog-standard strat trem block. Hmmmm....

The default screws of the Schaller flatmount go right where the tremolo cavity is.

You could fit a piece of wood to fill the cavity.

Depending on where exactly your tremolo sat there might be opportunity to drill new screw holes into the bridge. In most cases, however, you will only be able to do that in front of the tremolo.

Also be warned that you need to shave some mm off the pickguard.

FWIW, I tried that bridge and did not like it.  Everytime I did a one-step bend on the high E string at the 15th fret or above, the string came off the roller; I use 9s with standard tuning.  YMMV.  I had the body made just to use this bridge. 

I eventuallly took the guitar to a local luthier who routed it out for a Floyd. 

I am also not a Schaller 475 fan. My friend built me a neck and body (Jazzmaster-inspired shape) a few years ago and we used that bridge. It's only saving grace is that my friend drilled the mounting holes slightly off, so it would have been slightly off line with the neck. The extreme amount of adjustment available in that bridge let me still setup the strings to run straight down the neck though, whereas I'd have been screwed with a normal bridge.

(Yes, my friend tried plugging and redrilling, but didn't have much luck because he was only barely off. The grain of the plug kept grabbing the drill bit and essentially redrilling the same hole. Looking back, I should have had him route a larger rectangle around all 3 mounting holes, filling with a large block, and redrilling in that.)

Anyway, the bridge can be useful in making up for a poor construction job, but I wouldn't use it again. Be careful when adjusting the string spread, as getting the rollers too close to the inside edge of the saddle can produce buzzes and ringing.

I guess if I'm going to recommend against the 475, I should make a recommendation for something. I assume you want a hardtail? Well, you can install the standard tremolo bridge, but set it up like Eric Clapton does. Install 5 springs and crank the spring plate down as far as it will go. Then block the tremolo (as Clapton has done to his), or just leave it like that.

If you're just trying to save money, well, I think it's going to be a bit of a headache to get any hardtail bridge to work in a tremolo-routed body. That block sold by Hipshot  used to fill the route may be the best option, but you aren't guaranteed that your MIM body has the exact same dimensions in the route, so you'd possibly have to go through the effort of making the block fit yourself. If you want a cheap standard tremolo bridge, you can try AllParts "economy" bridge or eBay.

Back