Scalloped Necks

JSG

I know what I'm getting into, but I still want to build a guitar with a scalloped neck anyway.  It's purely for shredding.  What I don't know is what size neck I should get.  For my regular guitars I stick to the Wizard profile.  I have small hands, so that type of contour is perfect for me.  But with a scalloped neck, since you don't really play the same way (as far as applied pressure goes), would I be better off with a neck more like that of a strat or should I stick to the Wizard profile?   

JSG said:
I know what I'm getting into, but I still want to build a guitar with a scalloped neck anyway.  It's purely for shredding.  What I don't know is what size neck I should get.  For my regular guitars I stick to the Wizard profile.  I have small hands, so that type of contour is perfect for me.  But with a scalloped neck, since you don't really play the same way (as far as applied pressure goes), would I be better off with a neck more like that of a strat or should I stick to the Wizard profile?   

I'd use a neck that is a touch thicker; the standard thin. If thats still too thick, you can always have it shaved down a bit.

I don't see why it should make much difference. I'd think if you like the wizard profile, there's no reason not to get one scalloped. But I don't know.

Quote from the Warmoth site:
Also, we can not scallop necks with the Wizard back contour.

With Warmoth's killer double truss rod, I doubt if strength is the issue, rather there might not be room for the truss rod in there with the scalloping. My #1 guitar is a Tele with a scalloped boatneck, but I get along O.K. with all the different neck sizes - it's just different thumb positioning. You know that you still bend & vibrato sideways, not inward, right? They're a gas, I wish I could get a scalloped neck for my Mustang, or seven, or baritone.... I have a wood rasp, but I'll just muddle along for now. There are a few disadvantages, if you're playing live and get overstimulated you play everything sharp for a while till your bandmates get pissed and you get it under control.
:party07:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=scalloping

Back