Say, how about a TUBE to go with that amp?

stubhead

Master Member
Tubes2.jpg

Tubes1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/21-000-AMPLIFIER-TUBES-12AX7-6V6-6SN7-5U4-4-5-PIN-6JE6_W0QQitemZ200298085571QQihZ010QQcategoryZ67816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

(!)      :cool01:

Wow. Wow. Honestly if somebody isn't working right now, that could generate some real cash if the whole thing is above board.

The issue is that many of those old receiving tubes are not really useful in a typical guitar amp.  I'd estimate that he only has about 200 12ax7s in all that.

He does say that 5,000 of the tubes are worth over $40 each - that's $200,000.... he's also selling off sets on the side from the collection, I guess as fast as he can test them. There's a whole world of tubeheads out there that have nothing to do with guitars, you need some expertise. I think it may be a decade or more before the economy settles down enough to even know what's "collectible" anymore, there are certainly people with garages and storage units full of Beanie Babies, Valco guitars, Hummel figurines who're wondering what they're going to EAT next week.

stubhead said:
there are certainly people with garages and storage units full of Beanie Babies, Valco guitars, Hummel figurines who're wondering what they're going to EAT next week.

True dat.  (and tube stashes)

Now's the time to keep yer eyes peeled for Mullards and other NOS.  :icon_thumright:

I have a buddy that sells tubes on eBay. He gets old stock lots from somewhere, but they're nearly all for audio amps. I think he said he has over 2,000 tubes right now... or about 10% the size of collection that eBay buyer "won".

13G is a big chunk of change to drop over eBay but it seems like a good deal if the description is accurate.  It would be fun to test and sell tubes all day...

It would be fun to test and sell tubes all day...

You know, in some places that might be considered almost a geeky idea of "fun".... :hello2:
I guess when your yacht's so fast it gets too windy to snort cocaine out of starlet's bellybuttons, might as well test a few tubes instead, huh? :eek:ccasion14:

It would not be as fun as snorting coke out of a starlet's belly button on a yacht.  However, it would be more fun than sitting here at work all day.

Tubes have a hardcore collector following. I am sure there are studios all over the place with old Telefunken mic pres and such that are scrambling for stuff like that.

Back