Satin Sunburst in Showcase?

lkja8uatt33

I did a quick scan, filtering on finished standard strat bodies and then tried to find "satin" anywhere on the pages of results and could not find any.
The Finish filter does not seem to have a "satin" designation.

I was primarily looking for a sunburst type body with a satin finish.
Is it a bad idea to satin finish a sunburst body?

As far as I know the only satin body finish available is clear and all the colors are gloss poly.

I've only seen a handful of satin-finished bodies in the showcase. That's not something people order, and not something they normally want to do, so they don't sell many. You will have to custom order.

SuperTurboDeluxeCustom has a satin-finished sunburst body, if you search for it.

lkja8uatt33 said:

I doubt it has anything to do with being a sunburst. I suspect the inconsistencies in the finish that would show up in fairly short order would keep anyone who's ever dealt with satin finishes away from the idea. You'd end up with glossy patches at least at the forearm and tummy cutaways, possibly at the lower waist point, and possibly above/below the pickups. The splotchiness that would result would make the whole thing look terrible in no time at all.

lkja8uatt33 said:
I did a quick scan, filtering on finished standard strat bodies and then tried to find "satin" anywhere on the pages of results and could not find any.
The Finish filter does not seem to have a "satin" designation.

I was primarily looking for a sunburst type body with a satin finish.

Satin finishes are a nightmare.  There's no way to touch up the finish without causing it to gloss up.  You strip it and start over.....  That's why you don't see it as an option.

Of the 6 Warmoth bodies I have, 3 are Satin.  For me the nightmare is maintaining a blemish free gloss finish.  I love my Satin finished bodies, and would have more, but it is no longer an option.  Every time I've ordered them, I was strongly discouraged by the sales person.  The reason I was given for it's demise was the cost of the product quadrupling in price.

Yeah, having a satin finish is generally a bad idea, unless you like random glossy spots.

Back