Fix Satin Finish Blemish

daluqfam

I waited 18wks for my swamp ash, green transparent, satin finished tele replacement body to arrive. It came in perfect. Amateurishly, I accidentally got some StewMac Sheilding Paint on the forearm contour(and it dried). In my attempt to buff it out, I’ve created a shiny spot the size of a nickel that is very ugly noticeable. This is my first build, and I’ve already screwed up. Is there advice on the forum to help me blend this out where it is not noticeable? IMG_9198.jpeg

No one would notice the blemish because it looks like normal wear from use. Lucky that it happened on the forearm contour IMO.

Yep, it’s in a normal spot, I wouldn’t do anything except play the heck out of it, in 1 year you won't notice it. It's Satin's nature to smooth out. Guitar looks great.

I had a satin finish guitar and I wanted it gloss so I buffed it. Leave it, which is what I recommend, or buff and make it semi-gloss, but it's much cooler the way it is. Leave it, and don't fret. It's character.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the only fix that is "un-noticeable" is a re spray of the top coat. Satin finishes are terribly tricky because any rubbing makes them shinny. Adding to the complication is that the surface finish is not achieved by sanding so you cant sand it lightly either and have it blend.

Unfortunately the only fix that is "un-noticeable" is a re spray of the top coat. Satin finishes are terribly tricky because any rubbing makes them shinny. Adding to the complication is that the surface finish is not achieved by sanding so you cant sand it lightly either and have it blend.

This.

Trying to "fix" it will likely result in more of a flaw.

As all above. You could take the risk and carefully spray a satin clear over it, but without knowing the real chemical composition of what's been applied versus what's available to us mere mortals through retail channels, a risk is chemical incompatibility resulting in cracking or bubbling.

Or poor application technique resulting in orange peel. The probability of making it much worse through escalation is very high.

Satin becoming gloss through use is just its nature. My satin black guitar has a glossy spot by the neck pickup where I reflexively place a fingertip while picking. It just happens.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is possible to polish the entire body with 2000 grit wet and dry paper then buff until it is glossy.

Yes, it's possible. I've done that, as above, I turned a tacoma papoose electric from satin to gloss. If I recall directly, the way I did it was I got a buffing wheel for my drill and some Meguire's scratch x, and just went at. Or maybe just buffed by hand. Came out pretty good, I got $200 for it, put it towards, a now long gone swamp ash build. That's why I say there's no "correcting" it. Just play the snot out of it, and enjoy the character, or ...... obliterate it and go gloss. Not sure I would do that on such a beautiful finish. it's character, enjoy it.

Back