Satch vs. Coldplay?

nah not guilty, they're close but if you serach youtube there are a million videos of that coldplay song being compared to another song that sounds similar, its a pretty common chord progression and those melody lines are close but probably not close enough

im sure they will both settle out of court though

gnome said:
if you serach youtube there are a million videos of that coldplay song being compared to another song that sounds similar

The theft with the other song is pretty compelling because it pre-dates the Coldplay song.  Plus Chris Martin was at one of their shows, as a venue full of witnesses can confirm.

I think whoever owns the publishing rights to "Wabash Cannonball" should sue Free Credit Report dot Com for those annoying commericals.

I think everyone should sue everyone!!!!  :toothy12: 

By the way, that was my idea, so don't even try to steal it.  I have a stable of lawyers on retainer!

I've currently got a patent in the works for a 1-4-5 chord progression that repeats in a 12 measure cycle.  I've got another for verse-verse-chorus-verse.

guitlouie said:

By the way, that was my idea, so don't even try to steal it.  I have a stable of lawyers on retainer!
Oh, it was Your Idea to sue everybody huh? I'll see you in court!  :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7: :laughing8:

But seriously, Satch is going a bit over-board wanting every cent Coldplay  has made from that song. Maybe go halves, make up and get on with the rockin'! (not that Coldplay 'Rocks', they're not my thing)

This reminds me of The Verve's bittersweet symphony using a stones song - the last time - with permission..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_Sweet_Symphony

Although the song's lyrics were written by Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft, it has been credited to Keith Richards and Mick Jagger because the song uses the Andrew Oldham Orchestra recording of The Rolling Stones' 1965 song "The Last Time" as its foundation.

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a license to use a sample from the Oldham recording, but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample.[4] Despite having original lyrics, the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" is largely based on the Oldham track (the song uses the sample as its foundation and then builds upon, though the continuous riff is Ashcroft's creation), which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company that owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.

“ "We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing," says band member Simon Jones. "They rung up and said 'we want 100 per cent or take it out of the shops', you don't have much choice."[5] ”

After losing the composer credits to the song, Richard Ashcroft commented, "This is the best song Jagger and Richards have written in 20 years."

The song was later used, against the will of the band, by Nike in a shoe commercial. As a result, it was on the Illegal Art CD from the magazine Stay Free!. The song was also used in a Vauxhall Motors commercial, prompting Ashcroft to declare onstage, "Don't buy Vauxhall cars, they're shite." However, the band was able to stop further use of the song by employing the European legal concept of moral rights.

Ashcroft and the band's reaction to the loss of control and financial rewards from what was their most popular song was not positive; and it has been argued that the issue contributed to Ashcroft's depression and the band's later split.

On Ashcroft's return to touring, the song traditionally ended the set list. Ashcroft also reworked the single for 'VH2 Live' for the music channel VH1, stripping the song of its strings. Ashcroft is quoted as saying during the show: "Despite all the legal angles and the bullshite, strip down to the chords and the lyrics and the melody and you realize there is such a good song there."

He also dedicated the song to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards at a gig at the Sage Gateshead in Gateshead. After an audience member booed, Ashcroft exclaimed, "Don't boo, man. As long as I can play this song I'm happy to pay a few of those guys' bills."

In a Cash For Questions interview with Q magazine in 1998, Keith Richards was asked if he thought it was harsh taking all The Verve's royalties from Bitter Sweet Symphony to which he replied, "I'm out of wack here, this is serious lawyer shite. If The Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money."

Edit: Just want to say I think what happened to the Verve is harsh to lose all the money and the songwriting credit... I like the stones but boo to them for there efforts here.

That is pretty damn convincing that Coldplay ripped it from Satch.

But correct me if I'm wrong, don't they have to prove (with evidence/witnessess??)  that the members of Coldplay actually heard Satch's song beforehand and then wrote their own song with the melody ripoff??

I know it's easy to say "just listen to the two melodies, it's obvious they copied" but in the court of law you can't assume, you have to actually prove.

adamj said:
But correct me if I'm wrong, don't they have to prove (with evidence/witnessess??)  that the members of Coldplay actually heard Satch's song beforehand and then wrote their own song with the melody ripoff??

The burden of that proof is pretty low because the Satriani piece was accessible by the public.  If Joe had recorded that piece and never released it, it would be harder for him to prove theft because how could they have heard it.  He would have to prove they stole something that they could not have heard.  The lesson is, if you want to copyright your work cheaply, put it on the internet.

The controversy continues.  This piece is supposedly 2 years older than Satriani's "If I Could Fly."  The guitar comes in around 0:35.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cH4gaPHs9Hc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cH4gaPHs9Hc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

see what i mean, millions of songs just like that, i understand were straianis coming from, if i was in his position than i heard the coldplay song i would be very upset but i still think satriani can't win

guitlouie said:

That was a plotline on South Park like 10 years ago, dude.  You're gonna get SUED!!!

Anyway, great story Steiger, I always liked that song.

STDC: That one is only the same for about 5 notes, then it differs a little.  Could be Satch lifted the riff but it's not clear-cut plagiarism.

Anyway I think Coldplay should just give Satch a songwriting credit... I'm not saying they're definitely guilty but they're not gonna convince a whole lot of people they're innocent, so they may as well be gracious.

Incidentally, I think the mashup with both songs is a little better than either :D

Really?  I thought coldplay did a pretty convincing job of justifying my hatred of coldplay.

my opinion is this:

for me, coldplay is music to fall asleep to.

sorry, sorry: for me, coldplay is music to put me to sleep.
in the worst possible way.

don't mean to offend, i just plain out don't like them. and no, it's not because i havent listened to them (my (now ex) girlfriend has all their albums and plays them to death).

on the topic of stealing music, it's a huge part of the music industry. huge.
when it comes to un-intentionally re-writing a song, anybody read slowhands biography? he accidently re-wrote stairway to heaven. go figure. so it happens even to clapton.

but yeah, coldplay suck in my book.

i know that they're real famous and all, and people like them n stuff, but hey; same goes for cigarettes. cigarettes also make you dead inside.

brilliance has long been one of my personal attributes that people often envy.

as is my modesty  :icon_biggrin:

but seriously, i die a little inside everytime a coldplay song is played. one reason why the "girlfriend" has now become an "ex"girlfriend  :eek: :eek: :binkybaby: :tard: :laughing7:

Back