Satch vs. Coldplay?

jimh

What do ya'll reckon about this then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7766683.stm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I

Wouldn't like to call it myeslf, but I reckon there might be something there ? ? ?

Whomever put that youtube piece together did a really good job.

I'm immediately tempted to say GUITLY!!!!

Cab we get an injunction that requires Coldplay NEVER release any more material? That would be optimal...

hmm, well it's a good thing you can't copyright a melody or chord progression then isn't it?

There's a reason people continue to come out with music, and it's because they're not deterred by copyrighted progressions...

I don't care if they copied the song, they turned it into their own thing really, because satriani's wasn't lyrics.

Good for them for making money off of something they turned into their own!  (Same thing has happened a million times in the computer industry, and people fight it at first, but then realize that it's actually helped progress the world!)

hailstorm350 said:
hmm, well it's a good thing you can't copyright a melody or chord progression then isn't it?

There's a reason people continue to come out with music, and it's because they're not deterred by copyrighted progressions...

I don't care if they copied the song, they turned it into their own thing really, because satriani's wasn't lyrics.

Good for them for making money off of something they turned into their own!  (Same thing has happened a million times in the computer industry, and people fight it at first, but then realize that it's actually helped progress the world!)

Well, I'm biased, but I vote for Satch. 

hailstorm350 said:

Melody is an essential part of a song's copyright.   

Neil Stryker X said:
hailstorm350 said:

Melody is an essential part of a song's copyright.   
yes, but when you make minor changes, an argument can be made against the copyright.
a perfect example is how satriani's melody playing isn't exactly the same as the viva la vida melody.  I agree they are similar, but tbh, I like coldplay's more just because it's put together into a popular format :)

Good catch on that tho, I wouldn't have found it!

Copying somebody and calling it your own is not nearly as lame as suing somebody over a sucky forgettable song....especially if said melody is really nothing special to begin with.

Question for "Satch": How many album sales did you lose because your melody was stolen? Do kids sit around best buy going "I was gonna buy the new Satch CD but the melody from that generic-type instrumental is also on this crappy Coldplay CD, so I'll just buy that instead?" Or is just a way to scam some bucks off of somebody else?

Finally, do you really want to advertise the fact that Coldplay stole their sound from you? It's not quite the same as claiming John Lennon stole all your song ideas, is it?

The question is, if you were to hear the Satch song without knowing about the law suit, would you think he had stolen it from Coldplay?

If the answer is yes, Satch has a pretty good case.

erik  (I say Satch gets a lot of publicity, then they settle out of court)

Coldplay was already in hotwater over that piece.  Not from stealing that from Satch, but from another English band.  Now I could say that Coldplay stole that from the other English band, and they stole it from Satch.  However, I know better.  When the evidence is right there in front of you, it's undeniable.  However, we've proved they're similar, but we have not proved intent.  There must be both, the Mens Rea and Actus Rea.  The mindset and the act.

If anyone has ever written a song, how many do you have to throw away because someone else said, "Hey that sounds like _________ by the band ________."  It's never intentional.  But, I regard Coldplay as douches of the highest order, so guilty.

Excerpts from Wikipedia and edited for length:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_la_Vida_(Coldplay_song)

Track listing:
Digital download
  1. "Viva la Vida (New Edit)" – 4:04

Promotional CD
  1. "Viva la Vida (Radio Edit)" – 3:45
  2. "Viva la Vida (Full Album Version)" – 4:01

CD release
  1. "Viva la Vida" – 4:01
  2. "Death Will Never Conquer" – 1:17

- The song peaked at the top spot of the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's first number-one single.
- The band's biggest radio hit in the United States, becoming their first top ten hit on the Hot 100 Airplay.
- It was also successful on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart, becoming their first number one on the chart.
- The first song to top both the Hot 100 and Modern Rock chart since Nickelback's "How You Remind Me" in 2001 and 2002.
- On the Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks, the song has become the band's first number one, as well as the first single on the Capitol Records label to ever top the chart.
- "Viva la Vida" hit number one on the UK Singles Chart, becoming Coldplay's first chart-topping single in the UK.

I'm also biased toward Satch but......It's not exactly a little bit of money we're talking about. The song was packaged and sold as a single, not an entire album.  If they are enjoying all this cash and fame by ripping off someone elses music.......NOT cool.  The author is definitely owed something here IMHO.

This sparks a lot of memories.  Too numerous, but here's a few:

Tom Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance vs. The RHCP's Dani California
The Chiffons' He's So fine vs. George Harrison's My Sweet Lord.
The everso Obvious Queen/David Bowie's Underpressure vs. Vanilla Ice's Ice-Ice Baby

I had written a song once based on a little three chord finger picked progression that I had come up with.  My band worked out an arrangement around it, and we had words and even played it out at some clubs a few times.  One day the drummer comes in with this CD by a band I had never heard of.  Somehow we had almost completely re-written one of their songs that had been out for a few years.  My finger picked progression was so close to the one I heard coming out of the speakers, that at first I thought he had secretly recorded us at practice.  Glad I didn't get sued!

Well... I'm actually a big Coldplay fan... sorry guys. Lol. But I've had the same thing happen to me as what happened to guitlouie; sometimes you completely rewrite someone else's song. Anyway, Coldplay's strings and timpani is pretty different from the way Satch plays it and they added lyrics. I doubt that a band with the talent of Coldplay would resort to purposely copying someone else's song... They've done some really good ones on their own, in my opinion. What would be their reasoning for copying?

Just a couple thoughts... I don't wanna start a war or alienate myself by liking Coldplay... 

As Elvis Costello said:

"Good artists borrow.  Great artists STEAL!"

:icon_biggrin:

Back