Sanding down a modern build roasted maple neck

WindsurfMaui

I'm a sucker for a hard V boatneck shape. So I bought one of the Vintage/modern build necks from Warmoth and I was in heaven. But like potato chips I can't eat just one. I have always wanted an Ebony (black) fretboard Strat replacement neck so I ordered one in roasted maple/Ebony. But I wasn't taking into account that the double truss rod of the modern build would change the shape of the boatneck. Instead of the hard V it is more like a large D with a hint of the V on the bottom. So I would like to shape the roasted maple area to bring out more of a V feel. Like the Vintage/modern build the shoulders on the Modern build are already gone so that part feels good. But then between the shoulders and the V there is a little rounded arc. I would like to sand that rounded part down a little to make the the V bottom and the shoulder feel connected by almost a straight line. First, is anyone familial with the thickness of the modern build side walls? How much can I remove before it could be a danger to the neck viability? Second, what grit sand paper would people suggest I start with . After I get to a satisfactorily shape I plan on burnishing the whole back of the neck. Thanks for the help

This will probably help you understand why that shouldn't be a problem...

[youtube]EKVWr8FRJNc[/youtube]

Not having done it, I can't speak to any other side effects that may occur, if any.

Well by the look of that video it looks like I can take as much as I want off the lower sides of the neck as I want. Any recommendation of what size grit sandpaper I start with to take the neck down before I burnish the whole thing? I wouldn't have bought a roasted maple neck if it wasn't for the Community members here who had such high praise for them. Now that I have one I can't go back to finished necks. I may try a Goncalo Alves although I'm not sure it will have the same slippery feel of the roasted maple.

Depends how much material you want to remove and how fast.  I'd personally take it reasonably slow and start with 180-220 grit.  It'll take longer than coarser grit but you'll be less likely to go too far and won't have to chase down deeper sanding scratches as you smooth it out.

WindsurfMaui said:
...But I wasn't taking into account that the double truss rod of the modern build would change the shape of the boatneck...

Is this something that Warmoth have advised is always the case, or could it just relate to that particular neck? If the former, and you haven't already done so, it might be worth checking that them that it isn't out of spec before voiding the warranty (assuming you bought it new).

Well I don't think this falls into a warranty category. The materials have no defect it is simple a shape issue and I am sure this neck falls into the general specs of a Warmoth boatneck. Thanks.

Yes I will go slowly with my sanding. As soon as the weather gets a little warmer I will be outside with the neck  and some sand paper. It's been a long time since I was in wood working shop. My fear is about making sure the shape is the same the length of the neck and I don't  sand a dip into one point in the neck. So full length strokes with the same amount of pressure.

Back