Sandblasting Body for Graining Effect

vid1900

A few years back Fender did a run of Sandblasted USA bodies in the Strat/Precision/Tele lines.

I've sandblasted ash bodies before, but no other species of wood.

I see on Warmoth's site they have some Roasted Swamp Ash bodies.

Has anyone had any experience with Sandblasting RSA?

Attachments

• zzzzzzsand2.jpg
    zzzzzzsand2.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 714
  • zzzzzzzfender-limited-edition-sandblasted-american-standard-stratocaster-sapphire-blue-transpa...jpg
    zzzzzzzfender-limited-edition-sandblasted-american-standard-stratocaster-sapphire-blue-transpa...jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 415
My sandblasting experience doesn't include RSA, but it seems the roasting process imparts a slightly enhanced brittleness to the wood, as least with roasted Maple, so I wonder if it might react a little more quickly to being blasted. Same result, just have to watch the progress a little more closely. Or, maybe use a different material to blast it with. Walnut shell chips are the traditional choice when blasting more fragile surfaces, but these days there's a bunch of different stuff you can use, as listed here.

I'm not recommending it, but if you MUST - use new abrasive media, OK? Old stuff has dirt in it, and that will stay in the grain of the wood. GO EASY, otherwise you might be sorry. Remember - you can't put the wood back on the body once you've taken it off.

Back