Routing a chambered body

Wil

Hi guys, first timer here. I've got an order in with Warmoth at the moment, which consists of :

Black chambered Strat body with F hole, single bridge pickup route
Reverse headstock birdseye maple strat neck/fingerboard, stainless steel jumbo frets

Can't wait to get it, however I've been thinking about the possibility that I might want to add a neck pickup in the future (probably an angled P90 or singlecoil) - is this easy enough for a tech to do on a chambered body, or will it cause issues? At the moment I'm playing in a metalcore/melodic hardcore band so clean sounds don't really come into it, I'm tinking down the line though I might decide to add a bit more versitility.

I don't see an issue.  use a nice sharp bit in your router, a good template well attached to the body and go slow.  Should be fine.

Cool, thanks. If I do decide to put a pup in the neck position I'll pay my tech to route it, I was just concered the chambers might collapse or something  :laughing7:

Remember a chambered body has a solid centerpiece running down the middle of the guitar from the neck pocket to the pickup routs, bridge and tailpiece end.  There is really no issue if you fear encroaching into the hollow chambers.

too bad you didnt have warmoth rout it for you. they can do that to showcase body's ya know. :sign13:

Brian

At the time I was thinking I'd only want the bridge humbucker (it's going to be a hardtail, single volume pot, nice and simple!) but for my clean tone I quite fancy the idea of a single coil angled towards the neck on the treble side (a bit like the configuration on Warwick Jazzman basses, but on a guitar). Not sure if Warmoth would do an angled rout...

Here's what I'm hoping it's going to look like, by the way (done in poor man's photoshop, that's MS Paint to you and me  :laughing7:)

ps3764a.jpg

Back