Rosewood Neck - Muddy?

partialdoctor

I LOVE my pau ferro neck. Looks and plays amazing. I am doing a mahogany strat mentioned elsewhere and was thinking rosewood on rosewood. I'm worried it might be too muddy. ANy thoughts on sound and feel vs. pau ferro (obviously not as bright).

Thanks,
PD

I prefer Rosewood over Pau Ferro... absolutely less bright, but I also like the overall tone better.. hard to explain.

I have a Bocote neck (Mexican Rosewood) on my Mary Kaye strat and it is not muddy.  It does not feel like Pau Ferro.  Pau Ferro feels like satin or silk and Rosewood, or in my case Bocote, feels like flannel.  Both are smooth, but it is a different feel.  Just like Wenge is slick as teflon, but rough.  Words sort of fail when trying to describe these things.  However, it is slick and fast, but like I said, not the same feel as Pau Ferro.
Patrick

Having multiple rosewood necks, if there is any difference in tone between rosewood and mahogany, I'm unable to discern it. But then again I've spent 5 years in the Infantry and 4 decades listening to music at volume levels high enough to damage hearing, so take everything I say with that grain of salt...

Thanks for the comments. I ordered a neck today. Rosewood with Kingwood FB. 6100SS. Abalone. MMMMMMMMMMM. Was going to get Ebony FB, but I love the kingwood. WAITING SUCKS!

Attachments

• FB1073a.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 417
Rosewood necks sound great! It's a classic tone wood after all = the choice of most high end acoustic makers for back and sides. They are not quite as "smooth" as some of the other exotic necks though, in my opinion.

Back