Roland GK-3

Jcurl02

Hello,

I'm getting ready to build my first Warmoth guitar.  I'm still anxiously waiting the arrival of the boxes.  About 6 more weeks!!!!  I've posted in a couple of other topics about it but here are the basics:

Maple Quilt Top on Maple Tele body.  Clear coated.  Rear Routed Strat stye to show more of the quilt.  The neck is going to be flamed maple with rosewood finger board.  The electronics are EMG's.  Gotoh Wilkenson Tremolo.

Here is my question.  I've recently become interested in the Roland GK-3 pickup and the GR 55 box.  I'm tryin g to learn how to install the GK -3 pickup.  Has anyone out there done this?  On the Roland page the show how to do it with a double sided tap (not something I want to do), screwing it into the body (definately not something I want to do in the chance I want to remove it later) and the last option is a mounting plate that attaches to the bridge (what I want to do).  Unfortuantely they don't offer a mounting plate for anything but fixed (Gibson) style bridges by attaching to the body stubs.  Does anyone out there know if  1) you can rig up a plate to go either under the tremolo to attach to the stubes in the same manner 2) can rig up a plate to attach to a different loaction on the tremolo (non-moving of course), I don't have the tremolo in hand yet adn can't get enough details on it off the net and 3) if there is something like this available to buy?  Seems like there could be a market out there for this.  An easy way to semi permantly add a GK-3 to a  Strat without drilling or taping.

Thanks in advance.

One of our members here, Updown, recently buttoned up a very nice Strat with a GK-3 installation. He did a pretty detailed thread on it, which you can see here.

I recently bought the graphtech hexpander, and I was jonesin hard to put it in the traditional jack hole. Drew up, even cut out a cardboard mockup of a jack to house the 13 pin socket, and decided it was a boatload of work and wouldn't look right, especially since I've gone with gold hardware on my project. I did decide to mount it more on the bottom side than the corner, in order to 1) get it out of the way a little better, and 2) give me a straight shot for the drill to make room for the cable between the jack socket and main control route. (Basically take a line parallel with the neck, lined up with the existing  control route - jack route hole.)

Anything on the back is going to put a spendy / bulky cable that looks to be substantially less robust than the beloved 1/4 phone plug in a location where it'll take lots of abuse and be very uncomfortable.

Sorry @Jcurl02 … I just noticed this thread.  :toothy11:

This is right up my alley. I'm a big fan of GK-3's, use both VG-99 & the GR-55.
Done 2 x Warmoth Strat's builds with GK-3 Internal Installed Kits.
1st is here & has links in it, to all photos ..  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16573.0
2nd is here .. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17451.0
And here, 13pin install ... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17452.0
(Just about finished that one)  :icon_biggrin:

1st up I strongly suggest you join this forum 'VGuitar' if you are new to this Technology.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/
This is a dedicated forum on Guitar Synth, mainly Roland stuff, You will learn lots there, I'm sure. I have !!
(I'm known as 'Zummooz' over there & a Moderator on the sister site 'Future Guitar Now')

My next GK-3 install was going to be a Tele … But a Deluxe Tele with the pickguard.

BUT ... You must be talking about a Mountable GK-3 …. NOT the GK-3 Kit like I have used.
From how i'm reading this.
In this case ..
:icon_scratch:  What's your problem using double sided tape ?

It won't peel off the finish, if thats what your worried about. (most do it that way, to save drilling holes in their pride & joy)
I agree with you about drilling holes thou, If you ever wanted to take it off sometime down the track.

Hey ... I even used Blue-Tac on a GK Pickup on my acoustic.  :toothy11:
BUT ….
When building from scratch i've always used the Screws & Springs to mount the GK-3 pickup.
Why ?
Then it can be adjusted so much easier, for precise positioning. (just like your normal pickups adjust) THIS IS A CRITICAL PART !!
It has to be correctly placed.
Also the GK-3 Pickup can't be anymore than 20mm from the bridge saddles.

Even the Roland Ready Strats GK-2 have screws for adjustment. (Got one of them too) But it's got a pickguard.

Can reverse the GK-3 pickup, thats what I do, to get it out of the way ie: palm mute etc.
Same thing with a mountable GK-3.
The GR & VG will work with it either way around.

YOU WON'T FIND a plate that will fit onto the Willkinson Tremolo for a GK-3 pickup …
In fact you won't find any plate for any Tremolo.
As a tremolo moves.

Only the TOM mounting plate. ie: Gibson TOM style.
Which you only get with a Mountable GK-3, Doesn't come with the GK-3 Kit thou.

There is a Humbucker Mounting Ring Plate which will hold the GK-3 Pickup.
But not in reverse like I do it & pretty sure it still screws in.
Can see that here in my thread (of someone else's pic)…. http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3918.msg30379#msg30379

If you use a Floyd Trem, you might have to remove or cut back the Mounting (bridge) pickup ring (very little room with those)
I use the internal GK-3 Kits as I know they will fit into the guitar case.
Sometimes, depending on the guitar, it might not fit in the case with the Mountable GK-3 attached on top of the guitar :sad:

So your options are if it's a Mountable GK-3 ….
Double Sided Tape (will work fine, lots do it that way) Blue-Tac (not as good as tape) Velrco (  :icon_scratch: Uuuuummmm)

Hope this helps you, can email me or PM me if needed.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks too @Cagey for your comments  :icon_thumright:

swarfrat said:
I recently bought the graphtech hexpander, and I was jonesin hard to put it in the traditional jack hole. Drew up, even cut out a cardboard mockup of a jack to house the 13 pin socket, and decided it was a boatload of work and wouldn't look right,
If you are patient  :toothy11: @swarfrat I know somebody that should have something on the market very soon, later this year.
That will make the insertion of the 13pin jack HEAPS EASIER just waiting on a demo one to be sent to me.  :icon_biggrin:
Will let you know when this is available to buy.

Thanks all for your responses!  Especially Uptown!  Very detailed and good.

You did assume correctly that I was talking about the MOUNTABLE GK-3.  I thought about the kit but that was after I've spec'd the boday.  Maybe next buiild :guitarplayer2:

Still doing some research but will probably go with the tape.

Thanks again!

No worries glad to help  :icon_biggrin:
Here's a Bracket you could use without screwing into the body.

Buy on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pickup-mounting-plate-for-Roland-GK-2A-GR33-VG88/230382219884?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=013&category=42455&cmd=ViewItem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMmD0xzJDw&feature=player_embedded

Once again Opdown, thanks a million!

This is a great idea but I'm using a rear routed EMG's, so I don't think it will work. HOWEVER......  This made me think of another option that you can probably kill before I get started.  Why couldn't you basically flip this bracket and use the hole for the pickup as a pass through for the tremolo (other than size, I understnad it would be a custom bracket).  Basically slip this (only much thniier) under the tremolo?  Use the tremolo to mounting to hold it in place.  You may want to adjst the string height but that's easy enough.

Another thought I had was on my Mexican Made Fender Strat, it has 6 screws holding the tremolo in place on the front side.  Why couldn't I just attach a bracket similar to the one in the GK-3 package to two of those screws?  (Again, I understand the stock bracket would not work but would the comcenpt?) 

I wish I could draw a picture but can't so I hope you can invision what I'm talking about.  If either or both of these could work, would there be an interest in them so WE could produce them?  This would allow for all tremolo bridges to have a "semi" perminent attachment like the fixed bridge guys have.

Yep .. I totally understand what your thoughts are on this. Trying to mount something to the Tremolo to hold the GK P/up.

I'll answer in reverse order.
1st the Tremolo on your Mex Strat with those 6 screw holes, is the standard 6 Hole Vintage tremolo.
(thats what I have on all of mine with a GK-3 P/up's) & my Roland Ready Mex Strat has that too.

I believe there is NO WAY of attaching to any of those screws, as those screws are the pivoting part for the Trem.

All thou … if you are NOT using the Tremelo at all ie: Blocked
You may well be able to dismantle & slip a home made plate of sorts underneath & tighten the screws hard down on the Trem.
Which would hold some sort of GK-3 plate in place.

:icon_scratch: Got my brain working now ….
Probable then couldn't screw the GK P/up onto that plate thou as the screw / bolt heads for mounting the GK P/up,
wouldn't have enough room between the plate & body.
Would have to use Double sided tape. But thats OK.
Then would have to adjust bridge saddle hight, should have enough adjustment for that thou ….. May-be !!

:eek:  Never seen this done before thou !!  :eek:

By the way you can't even flip the TOM GK-3 bracket around, as the holes in it are for the slight angle that a TOM sits at.

If there was a way to make a bracket for any Tremolo, to hold a GK P/up … I think it would have been made by now.
GK-3's have been around for some time now.

OK  ...
The Wilkinson Trem (I have one of them on a V shape guitar, recessed route thou) but with no GK-3 on it.
I've taken some pic's with the mountable GK-3 P/up just sitting on it to give you some idea with height etc with a Wilkinson Trem.

Cheers Updown  :icon_biggrin:

Attachments

• P1020102.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 476
  • P1020103.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 449
  • P1020104.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 430
  • P1020105.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 415
More Pic's

Attachments

• P1020108.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 458
  • P1020107.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 446
  • P1020106.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 543
Updown,

Just an update, I ordered my GR 55 and GK-3 today.  I think I got a killer deal on it as I got both for under $650 US.

Now I just need to build my Warmoth guitar to put it on.  Only 5 to 9 more weeks!

Thanks again!

Hey No worries at all …. Glad I could help !!  :icon_biggrin:

I really think it's best trying the double sided tape as a 1st time around for you with the GK-3 pickup.
With the GK mountable one's, you get a heap of different size / thin slivers of stuff to adjust height etc of.

Sounds OK .. I got mine in a Group Buy from VGuitar forum. So I can't tell you what I paid or the supplier it's from.
As the group buy is still happening !! ….. Can still get info for this from VGuitar forum.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/
I really hope you joined up on that forum (VGuitar) as you will get lots of advice & help from there. Plus downloads etc.
You are completely made if you don't !!  :doh:

Also the GR-55 dose NOT come with an Editor … But one of the guys on that forum (gumtown) has made one up.  :hello2:
Works fine & is much better & easier having it.  :icon_scratch:  The VG-99 came with one.
I have both the VG-99 & the GR-55, these are both very deep units.
That can do a hell of a lot !!

Theres a (demo only) here I did ages ago  … http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16848.0
From when I 1st got the VG-99 using my EX Gibson DarkFire, Driving my Access Virus Ti Synth as guitar-to-midi.
Each string was playing a different synth sound from the Virus & had a patch in the VG as 1 synth & 1 guitar.
Using Maschine as Drums.

Here's some pic's attached below showing my RME Fireface 400 & VG-99 & it's Editor on the imac screen.

The GR-55 Editor on screen made by (gumtown) at VGuitar forum.
Also can get other peoples shared patches though VGuitar.

The GR-55 & a US-20 A & B switch so as I can run either the VG or the GR or have both running together ….. Now thats fun !!  :blob7:
Notice the patch is PIANO
Ever played piano on a guitar ……. what a spin out !!  :toothy12:
Wait too ya here some of the Brass & Sax's in the GR-55  …. Just Awesome !!
Of cause there are patches that come with anything that sound crap or you think  :icon_scratch: Holy Crap where will I use that Effing sound.

The GR-55 & part of the FC-300 foot pedal used with the VG.

Cheers Updown  :toothy10:
Check out my latest GK-3 Internal Install here ... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17451.0

Attachments

• P1020226_2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 405
  • P1020229_2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 391
  • P1020231_2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 425
  • P1020233_2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 400
UPdown,

Once again, thanks for all the advice and help.  I'll just use the doubble sided tape (when the time comes).  I'm still weeks away from getting th eWarmoth packages and the Roland one as well.

You've been a great help!

Jcurl

Wyliee said:
Gah....... stop it Updown!  You are so giving me GAS!!  :blob7: :blob7:

:icon_scratch: Gee ...... I'm really sorry about that Boss :laughing3: :laughing11: :laughing7:

Roland system showed up today!!!!!  Temp mounted on old gretach just to make sure it worked.  Wow!!!!!!!  Does it work

Jcurl02 said:
Roland system showed up today!!!!!  Temp mounted on old gretach just to make sure it worked.  Wow!!!!!!!  Does it work
Good Stuff  :icon_thumright: ....
May there be many many sleepless, long nights ahead for you  :toothy10: ... enjoy  :blob7:

Back