Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of '09 Announced

Graffiti62

Hi Guys--

I was listening to the radio on my way home from work the other day, and I heard that they announced this year's inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I was happy to see Metallica and Jeff Beck going in (especially Jeff). The only thing that gets me is that, year after year, people bellyache and moan about the induction process and how it isn't fair and the finalists are decided on eligibility and "who'll buy dinner seats at the party." I guess I'm going to make this a two-part question--feel free to answer one or both. Why do you think that the Hall has continued to do things the way that makes everyone upset, and at the same time, refuses to change?

The other part of my question is this:  who do you think should be there?  My votes would go to Rory Gallagher, The Faces and Motorhead.

I have no idea why so many deserving bands/artist are left out every year.. it really doesn't make sense.

I would like to see Yes in there.. but I guess Prog rock is not popular enough anymore.(did Rush ever made it in the RRHall?)
I also think that Thin Lizzy should be there..but then again, I believe they should have been so much bigger than they where in the first place..
IMO Iron Maiden should have made it before Metallica.. if I'm not mistaken, there is not a single NWOBHM band in yet.

there's many more that I think should be nominated.

Marko said:
I have no idea why so many deserving bands/artist are left out every year.. it really doesn't make sense.

I would like to see Yes in there.. but I guess Prog rock is not popular enough anymore.(did Rush ever made it in the RRHall?)
I also think that Thin Lizzy should be there..but then again, I believe they should have been so much bigger than they where in the first place..
IMO Iron Maiden should have made it before Metallica.. if I'm not mistaken, there is not a single NWOBHM band in yet.

there's many more that I think should be nominated.

Agree totally (though I've never listened to TL). Iron Maiden seems much more deserved than Metallica, and I'm not even a metal fan!
And about prog: sure, Yes, but King Crimson anyone? Massively influential band and heads and shoulders above all other "prog" stuff. They also have the good sense to take a break for however long when the music dries up.

So I personally nominate King Crimson. Also Tom Waits, if he's not in there already the whole thing is obviously bogus and can be safely ignored.

FYI, 2009 inductees are:

The performer inductees are:
Jeff Beck
Little Anthony & the Imperials
Metallica
Run-D.M.C.
Bobby Womack

Early Influence Category Inductee:
Wanda Jackson

Sidemen Category Inductees:
Bill Black
DJ Fontana
Spooner Oldham

Note that one of the requirements is that it is 25 years since a person's/group's first recording is released prior to eligibility.

Inductees are chosen: "The 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performer inductees were chosen by the 600 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation."

I can't easily find a list of whom these 600 people are...

It's in Cleveland, what do you expect?

jackthehack said:
I can't easily find a list of whom these 600 people are...
I saw a show on the Grammy Awards and they mentioned the Rock and Roll Hall of fame in it.  These people are supposed to be relatively secretive but the word does get out to all the major labels.  They usually get cool and unique promotional boxes with things like "For your consideration" on it, with copies of the movie/album inside.  If the list were more well known, they'd apparently get inundated with stuff from every act known to mankind.

You know, the first hard rock I ever heard was AC/DC's Back in Black back in 1980. That album turned me on to hard rock. After AC/DC I really started getting into Iron Maiden and my first concert was on their Number of the Beast tour. First time I heard Metallica, in like 1983 or so, I thought they were garbage and couldn't stand them. I later learned the error of my ways and now really like Metallica. God knows I love both of those bands to death but if I had to choose one over the other for the HOF I'd have to go with Metallica. Master of Puppets is the bench mark for all other metal albums to live up to, and there aren't many metal bands out there that would argue with that. On top of that Metallica is the band that broke metal into the mainstream.....even though at the time I hated the fact that people that used to diss me for listening to metal were now on the bandwagon. But Metallica definitely has a wider appeal than Maiden so their induction is rightly deserved.

The one that got under my tits was that Van Halen was passed up so many years before they finally made it. They should have been in as soon as they were mentioned.
MULLY

Agree with Iron Maiden, Rush and Motorhead. I'll actually watch this one just for Jeff Beck.

Back