Roasted Swamp Ash Clear Darkening

kruno

I saw this youtube video from Aaron: 

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qRow5ZD1CiM[/youtube]

It shows that the roasted swamp ash with clear finish gets much darker post finish compared to pre-finish.  However, the pictures of roasted swamp ash with clear finish on warmoth's in-stock body's don't look nearly as dark.  Here is a clear finish "extra light" roasted swamp ash in-stock body I found (https://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&core=82&i=PS13886#.Xw4PPChKiUk):

PS13861B.jpg

Also, as a side note for the web team: when you set the finish to "clear" on the body builder website tool, it doesn't get darker.

Here is a transparent brown finished roasted swamp ash body according to one of the in-stock guitars (https://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&core=82&i=PS13905#.Xw4NFShKiUk):

PS13905B.jpg

I'm looking for a darker finish, like the one on the video or the transparent brown shown above.  I'm just not sure what I should order on my custom build, because there seems to be an inconsistency with the video and the guitars in stock.  That or something has changed in the manufacturing process since the video was released.  Of the three I posted here, I'd say the transparent brown is my favorite, but it's so hard to choose!

Looking for some help on what to order.

I'd also like to know if the roasted maple neck would be a good match for the (dark) roasted swamp ash body.

Thanks!

Also, these look to be a gloss finish and the video is Satin.  I'm on the fence if I want gloss or satin, but I would like to know if the darkening is different based on satin vs gloss.

I would expect there to be different levels of "darkening" based on how thoroughly torrefied (roasted) the wood was.  It seems likely there will be occasional variation depending on supplier, sugar and other content in the lumber, and so on.  That most likely accounts for the differences you see.  Input stock is the variable, not finish material.

Bagman67 said:
I would expect there to be different levels of "darkening" based on how thoroughly torrefied (roasted) the wood was.  It seems likely there will be occasional variation depending on supplier, sugar and other content in the lumber, and so on.  That most likely accounts for the differences you see.  Input stock is the variable, not finish material.

that's a good point.  I still wonder if something has changed in the process though.  Because all the in-stock roasted swamp ash bodys with clear finish look like what I posted (there's four of them and they all look roughly the same...).  So it seems to be consistent. 

I'm looking for what to order to target that darker look, but I don't want it to end up too dark so maybe clear is the safest choice.

Hoping to get some feedback form warmoth.

The other thing is i'd like the headstock to match the body as much as possible.  I like maple necks, but if I go the darker route, I'd use the padouk neck, unless I could get the maple headstock finished to match the body.  Although padouk has the advantage of not requiring a finish, I just worry that it would effect the tone compared to maple.

Photo of my recently received Warmoth chambered roasted swamp ash Strat. It has a clear satin finish.

Attachments

• E129D77E-DFBC-4118-98BF-B7DF0266D383.png
    E129D77E-DFBC-4118-98BF-B7DF0266D383.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,566
My avatar is roasted swamp ash body, clear satin, and roasted maple neck, no finish, as an example.

Thanks for sharing guys.  I hope more people share.  It's looking like the satin finish is darker than the gloss finish on roasted swamp ash.  I really like that transparent brown gloss finish, just worried it will come out too dark depending on the actual wood specimen.

Back