roasted maple neck anyone???

dokken84

hey guys, newbie here to the forum.  I am getting into the beginning stages of my first warmoth build, and have always imagined myself getting a birdseye maple neck/fretboard.  Recently, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the roasted maple necks warmoth is offering.  Has anybody got one?  I am having a hard time finding any good pictures of these necks equipped on a guitar, and would love to see some! :party07: :headbang1:

I've got one.  Have not made a guitar out of it yet, but it feels and smells veeeeeery nice.

I'm guessing it will sound kinda like a maple neck  :)

I'm just about to order a roasted maple strat neck, not so much for the stability, but in the hopes that it will smell like maple & fill my music with syrupy goodness. Now if I could make my black korina body to smell like Johnny cakes, I'd be a happy camper....  :blob7:

dokken84 said:
Would you mind uploading a picture of your neck mayfly?

Here you go

TN6882A.jpg

Anyone have plans to burnish / polish one? I'd love to hear how that works out.

I have an all-roasted Maple Warhead w/ cream binding and no inlays neck coming that will get that treatment. I'll be sure to document it.

I came across a roasted maple neck in the showcase and had to do a Wendell double take.  Lol. Will this become Warmoth's next big thing?

Actually, they're a little behind the bubble on this one. There are other neck makers out there who've been doing roasted Maple for some time now. What's cool about these units is Warmoth offers more options than most makers do, and since a lotta people come to them for unfinished parts, this fits right in with their specialty of offering exotic woods.

If Warmoth starts offering roasted bodies, too, then they'll be caught up and offer more options. As it is, Warmoth are in a bit of a weird spot. They've got more options, but they also put additonal charges on some options that other makers do for free; they're roasting necks, but they have no matching roasted bodies. Halfway there, still work to be done.

That said, having used several roasted necks and rosted bodies now, as parts of various builds both for myself and borrowed off friends, I will say that roasting is an all-round improvement as far as maple and ash go. It's not some crazy revolution that will make you swear off non-roasted wood forever, but it's certainly a noticable jump in resonance, a clear drop in weight, a slight improvement in stability and, most importantly in the case of maple, that smell. If you can comfortably afford it, do it.

I'm looking forward to the smell thing. But, I'm not sure how long that will last.

More importantly, I want an unfinished Maple neck that I can burnish. It's gonna be tits. I just know it.

thanks for your input guys.  The pros of the roasted neck are incredible, it's almost a no brainer.  My one stupid little worry that the roasted maple neck will look too dark for my taste.  I've always loved the look of a nice clean maple fretboard, and some of the roasted necks i've seen look incredible.  The grain really pops out and it gets this nice light chocolatey look.  I'm worried it would look TOO dark, similar to rosewood

None of the examples I've seen come anywhere near Rosewood, color-wise. They're darker than a typical Maple neck, but not dark, per se. What I've seen looks more like Canary or Afra, color-wise. Just a couple shades darker than you'd see in regular Maple.

Go to Warmoth's sales site and filter for roasted Maple. It currently returns about 20 results. That'll give you some idea of what to expect. Try this link.

A question I probably need to ask them is what's up with the figured Maple parts? There's no choice in the builder for it, yet I see necks in the showcase that are obviously curly. When you go to build a neck, there's no "unique choice" for roasted Maple, so wtf?

dokken84 said:
...I'm worried it would look TOO dark, similar to rosewood

Gibson has almost done it, they have baked it so much it can fool you it's light colored rosewood. I have seen Suhrs with different colored roasted maple and Musikraft offers light, medium and dark roast. Roasting enhances the color and figuring in the wood so unless you don't like figured woods I'd wait. Warmoth now offers medium roast and no choice for figured woods but they 'll have to change that if they want to be competitive.

Cagey said:
A question I probably need to ask them is what's up with the figured Maple parts? There's no choice in the builder for it, yet I see necks in the showcase that are obviously curly. When you go to build a neck, there's no "unique choice" for roasted Maple, so wtf?

I know this thread is a bit old but I have been thinking about doing a build with a roasted maple neck and I came across this thread while looking for info on them.

The no figured maple or unique choice option for roasted maple in the builder is something I noticed too. I sent them an email and they said they reserve all the figured pieces for the showcase. I find that somewhat annoying bc I am paying the premium when I order custom. And I am not seeing any roasted maple necks with mop inlays in the showcase. When I pull the trigger I am gonna call them and see if they will work with me though.

The smell of roasted maple is amazing but it does diminish. I have a roasted neck I am hanging onto for a bit and it filled my small apartment with the smell when I first got it. But anything that enhances neck stability (roasting or quarter sawn or a chunky neck) can't hurt. I can't speak to tone as yet.

I now have three roasted Maple necks, and haven't noticed the smell unless I get right on them. But, to be fair, I'm also a smoker so my sense of smell is probably not what it could be.

I will say this, though - that's a wonderful wood. God bless whoever came up with the idea of roasting the stuff. Attractive, lightweight, articulate, smooth as silk, doesn't need a finish - strongly recommend it to anyone.

@Sp4zRX - check out this thread if you want to see some figured roasted Maple. I know at least a couple of those are no longer available because Jeff and I snatched 'em up 32 milliseconds after they were made available. They do make parts out of it, but I suspect the source is not consistent enough to offer it in the builder. When they get it, they fab something up and put it in the showcase.

@musicispeace - your new fiddle is on its way. Should be there Wednesday. I don't expect any of us will hear from you for a while after that...

Cagey said:
I now have three roasted Maple necks, and haven't noticed the smell unless I get right on them. But, to be fair, I'm also a smoker so my sense of smell is probably not what it could be.

I will say this, though - that's a wonderful wood. God bless whoever came up with the idea of roasting the stuff. Attractive, lightweight, articulate, smooth as silk, doesn't need a finish - strongly recommend it to anyone.

@Sp4zRX - check out this thread if you want to see some figured roasted Maple. I know at least a couple of those are no longer available because Jeff and I snatched 'em up 32 milliseconds after they were made available. They do make parts out of it, but I suspect the source is not consistent enough to offer it in the builder. When they get it, they fab something up and put it in the showcase.

@musicispeace - your new fiddle is on its way. Should be there Wednesday. I don't expect any of us will hear from you for a while after that...

Bless you sir and many thanks for the fine work. LOL, I imagine my neighbors will be the only ones "hearing" from me for awhile when it comes in. Ah apartment living..... :blob7:

Back