Roasted Maple Bodies?

Archie Macfarlane

Hey! I was wondering if warmoth might have any plans to bring out some Roasted Maple strat or soloist or other guitar bodies,

a flamed/quilted 1 piece body would literally be the greatest thing since sliced bread

Would it still be too heavy? chambering??

How would you feel about this?

Thanks

I'm not into maple as a body wood and I don't think roasting would change that. My feeling is that the whole would probably remain too bright sounding. On the other hand, a roasted maple top on a black korina body...

Roasted maple (semi)hollow body might be cool. It's going to make very heavy solid bodies, and will likely have a very bright and sharp attack. I'd really like a roasted mahogany body. I'm curious how roasted white korina (limba) would look and perform, too.

I have found 'soft maple' bass bodies are similar in weight and sound to 'northern ash' IE 'hard ash'.

I think 'soft maple' would be a great candidate for roasting.

Does anyone have any data for how much lighter roasting actually makes the wood? Are we talking grams or ounces?

I suspect all you're ever going to get is a percentage, and I don't know what that would be. In looking around, all I've found are some long-haired formulas that required values for variables that might be tough to get like starting moisture content, specific gravities and so on. The wood is roasted as board stock and milled/machined after the fact, so it's not like you can get a before/after weight of a ready part. If a board loses 10%, you could assume anything made from it would be that much lighter. I know the roasted Maple necks I've dealt with have felt lighter, but then I deal with a lotta exotics and they're often unusually heavy, which wrecks my judgement.

Back