Roasted alder body - this tru-oil process or not?

cy83r

Hey everyone, after months of patiently waiting my jazzmaster body and neck are due to arrive today.

I understand roasted alder doesn't need a finish, but would it be improved or ruined by following this process:

http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-you-should-be-using-tru-oil.html?m=1

Or just burnish without any oil?

Opinions and tips welcome!

I would not burnish a body. A useful process for a neck but not a body unless you want it sliding onto the floor when playing sitting down.

Tru-Oil or Danish Oil would be good options.

Thanks, Stratamania. Would a glossy tru-oil finish (say from 12 coats and lots of sanding per the link) have the same slippery problem? Perhaps fewer coats for the contact points?
Cheers

cy83r said:
Thanks, Stratamania. Would a glossy tru-oil finish (say from 12 coats and lots of sanding per the link) have the same slippery problem? Perhaps fewer coats for the contact points?
Cheers

I have not looked at your link as I have done lots of Tru-Oil, but no it would not end up slippy. You may need more than 12 applications and I would suggest starting with Birchwood Casey Sealer and Filler before the Tru-Oil itself. Then you proceed with thin coats. If you don't want it glossy eventually you can finish with Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner.

Back