RIP David Lindley

One of the most talented, original, and amazing musicians I’ve ever heard. An incredible multi-instrumentalist. I had the good fortune to have seen him live numerous times in small venues (as well as huge ones with Jackson Browne). The last time was, IIRC, shortly before the pandemic when I saw him at Yoshi’s in Oakland's Jack London Square. This one hurts. Think I’ll be listening to his wonderful album El Rayo-X a bunch this weekend.

May the Four Winds Blow You Safely Home

Bill, tgo

I saw him play in university. But that was not my favourite memory of him.

My favourite memory is the 1950 Mercury that my dad and I restored when I was in Jr high. It was great. Flat head V8, three on the tree, overdrive. Jet black, bright chrome, suicide doors. It was a little hard to steer, and didn't exactly stop on a dime, but it was perfect. The (AM only) radio was all tube, using a single 6V6 as the output stage, and it sounded killer. One time I was driving listening to the radio, and lo and behold this guy starts singing this song about a Mercury '49 and playing killer slide guitar. In no time I had that AM radio cranked! Fantastic times :)

Back