Ren

Tom

First Warmoth build - this is Ren.

Body:
- Mahogany chambered showcase special Olympic White
- Contoured heel
- Wilkinson VS100 tremolo
- Tortoise-shell pick guard
- Bareknuckle HSS pickup set (Mule + Mother's Milk)

Neck:
- Warmoth Pro construction 25.5" scale
- Goncalo Alves with Pau Ferro fretboard
- 10"-16" compound radius
- Wizard profile
- Nickel 6105 frets
- MOP inlay and side dots
- LSR nut (1 11/16" width)
- Sperzel locking tuners
- Custom neck plate by Doug

Waiting for warmer weather before I instal a custom "Ren themed" decal. Will apply it then clear coat the face of the headstock, but way too cold to start that process now.

This went together fairly easily. Spent lots of time dressing the frets so they have a very rounded end. I really can't feel them when I play. Also polished the neck back down to 2000 grit. Feels and plays great.

Sounds like you would expect mahogany to, got that deep sound to it which seems even deeper with the chambered body. Very happy with how it turned out. Never used the Wilkinson trem before, but so far this is turning out to be one of my favourite bridges. Still a few minor tweak needed as I'm still dialing in the neck adjustment and intonation.

Attachments

• ren_2.jpg
    ren_2.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 654
  • ren_3.jpg
    ren_3.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 554
  • ren_4.jpg
    ren_4.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 511
  • ren_5.jpg
    ren_5.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 489
Ddbltrbl said:
Oh yeah, very nice! Love them BKs! :eek:ccasion14:

I totally agree! I just discovered BK a few months ago (had always been in the Dimarzio camp before) ... the BK's are just amazing.

That same set I put in Ren were in my Fender Strat for the last few months, and I couldn't believe how great they sounded. Unfortunately , this sound clip isn't Ren, it's my standard Strat, but you can hear the BK's I now have in Ren.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-sutton-16/phasers-set-to-funky

stratamania said:
Nice guitar but what is Ren and Stimpy ?

Only one of the best cartoons EVER.

Ren's a chihuahua, Stimpy a cat.

One of my favorite episodes... (too bad the video is crap, but you'll get the gist):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBUyAIF418

ORCRiST said:
stratamania said:
Nice guitar but what is Ren and Stimpy ?

Only one of the best cartoons EVER.

Ren's a chihuahua, Stimpy a cat.

One of my favorite episodes... (too bad the video is crap, but you'll get the gist):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBUyAIF418

OK thanks now I know :)

Nice guitar Tom, I like those pickups! Did you use the wiring diagram from the Bare Knuckles website? It looks like that one automatically splits the humbucker when running it with the middle pickup. How you likeing them??

@Surf n Music - I love thee pickups. I actually bought them as a pre-wired combo on a white pick guard, which I had in my standard Strat for a few months before I moved them into this guitar, so wiring was already done by Bareknuckle. And yeah, the humbucker splits to combine the single coil bridge and the middle pickup.

croquet hoop said:
That's a very nice build, the Wilkinson trem, exotic neck and body color/pickguard combo work really well.

Unfortunately I wasn't liking the fret size on that neck too much (it was a 6105), so I bought the cheapest wizard profile neck out of the showcase a few weeks ago with the 6150 frets (basic maple with rosewood board). The idea was to try it out for a few weeks and see if there really was a difference... there certainly was. Not only did the larger fret size feel better, I also prefer the wood combination with the maple neck, and feel it is brighter and more alive than the Goncalo Alves.

So if anybody wants to buy the original Goncalo Alves neck ... PM me.

Back