Removing finish on maple fretboards

mrpinter

The finish does have to come off there, doesn't it? If so, how do you guys remove it? I'm wanting a maple on maple neck.

It's certainly worth leveling and crowning the frets as having finish accumulated on them will throw the heights for a loop and won't feel all that great, but I've never removed the finish from the fretboard itself. I dare say it's part of what a maple fretboard feels like. I've never played the roasted maple unfinished variety, so all of my maple necks/fretboards have been finished.

If you're talking about removing the finish from the frets, the standard method is to tape off the fretboard and strip the frets with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad.

If it's brand-spankin' new fresh outa the box, it's easy enough to remove the finish from the frets with a fresh razor blade. Usually takes three passes per fret - one across the top and one on each side of the fret. It'll come off in fine strips that'll drive you nuts cleaning up.

If it's been handled much or even played, then that won't work well and the tape/abrasive method works better.

Wouldn't playing it do the same thing? A couple of bluesy bends on every fret and the strings would take care of it, acting as the razorblade.
I thought I read something in those lines around here. Or am I completely mistaken?

Well, if you're going the "it plays fine as far as I'm concerned, so I won't do a fret-dress" route, yeah, you can play it 'til the finish wears off, but for me, anyway, everything south of the 17th fret, especially on the wound strings, will always remain coated.

I guess that's true for most of us. You would probably need to play this over and over to get them frets clean:

[youtube]wN3IXRIQkP4[/youtube]

RIght. They'll eventually clean up on their own through wear, but it takes a while and the neck's sound/feel/appearance is a compromise during that period. They're easy enough to clean up when new that it's not worth suffering over.

Logrinn said:
I guess that's true for most of us. You would probably need to play this over and over to get them frets clean:

[youtube]wN3IXRIQkP4[/youtube]

Arnold Schoenberg must be spinning in his grave at that.

IIRC,  and the story is true, the folks at Leo's shop used an 8 penny nail with a groove ground into the head as a fret scraper.

But I never worked there so I guess it's just a  rumor. Or would that be an old wives tale?
:rock-on:

I've read/heard that one a number of times, too. I think I've even seen videos of guys doing it. Sounds like a good way to tear up the frets, but then I'm picky about such things.

Hey thanks guys, I like the sound of Cagey's method. Will give it a try when I get my neck. Here is the actual unique choice fretboard wood I picked when I ordered, by the way (it will be a 12 string)

uniq%20chce%20brdsye%202365.png

Lotta birds gave up their sight for that hunk of lumber. But, whaddaya gonna do? It's beautiful, and that's all that matters. At least they're not baby seal eyes...

ff7921cd80f344d8b58e26fb0c3c440b.jpg

Where's my club?

Back