Removing Chrome From Brass Knobs

Cagey said:
Once I get it polished up, I'm gonna take it to a jeweler and have something pithy engraved on it.
Cagey ... Tip  :sign13:
To save yourself from another complete "stuff-up" from someone you know locally ......... Get Doug to do it  :icon_biggrin:

I would, but I think I'm going to want some small fine-line engraving, and I don't think his machine will do that. Plus, I don't know what I want to put on it yet. It's just an intention, not a fully-formed plan. I don't want to move too quickly, as it's a custom part that I can't just snag a replacement for on a whim.

:sign13:  Sell those knobs on fleabay as real authentic "aged knobs" .... :laughing7: .... might get ya $$$ back  :icon_biggrin: 

They don't look "aged", they look wrecked. I think I may take a grinder after one. That'll teach it.

many more like this on ebay :icon_biggrin:
sorry....could not resist.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Pcs-Gold-Dome-brass-Knob-Screw-style-Solid-Shaft-DHR11295-/290638934322?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43ab6e3132

I know. I have gold ones. I want brass. And I know those are brass - so are mine. I've been trying to get the plating off, so they'll match the brass bridge.

Cagey said:
I know. I have gold ones. I want brass. And I know those are brass - so are mine. I've been trying to get the plating off, so they'll match the brass bridge.

just giving you a hard time!!!

I spent a few hours polishing the GOLD off pickup covers to expose what I think is nickel.  IT really is a SICKNESS!!!! :eek:ccasion14:

I actually like gold plated hardware, but it just isn't going to work on this guitar. The bridge is the major piece of hardware, and it's polished brass. My only other choice would be to get the bridge gold plated, but I gotta think that would be expensive. Plus, I'm a little gun-shy on the whole plating thing lately...

Obviously it's too late now, but if you have another knob lying around, or if you want to experiment on one of these guys, maybe you could mount the knob to a rod or dowel of an appropriate thickness and go after it with a buffing wheel and Tripoli compound.

I had considered that at one time, but discarded the idea due to the knurling on the knob's sides. Anything I'd take after the knob would get seriously tore up itself before it could do any of its own damage.

Since they're already ruined, try the brake fluid thing.  I also found 1/3 hydrochloric acid 2/3 water as a remover, though that sounds like more trouble than it's worth and doesn't sound like it would stop at the chrome.

If you really want the chrome to come off, then put them on something you like and they look good on. Put it out in the garage and viola, before you know it, it'll have rusted off... :icon_thumright:

We're half way there with the knobs cagey.... :icon_biggrin:
brassknob.jpg

Hey! That's it! Did you make that, or did you find it somewhere? What are the dimensions?

Cagey said:
Hey! That's it! Did you make that, or did you find it somewhere? What are the dimensions?
Well I made it and I found it. It was in my cache of metal bits leftover from previous job. I turned it down for some reason, thought I had more but haven't come across one yet.. It's .835" dia. x .850" tall. I'll keep looking, I'm sure I've got some more round brass..

Actually, I only need one for the body that's coming. No tone control is planned. But, if you find a second one, I'll take it. You never know. And if the next one you find is a tad shorter, it would be ok to shorten this one. .850 tall is... tall. .70" to .75" would be more like the height of most Tele knobs.

Cagey said:
Actually, I only need one for the body that's coming. No tone control is planned. But, if you find a second one, I'll take it. You never know. And if the next one you find is a tad shorter, it would be ok to shorten this one. .850 tall is... tall. .70" to .75" would be more like the height of most Tele knobs.
Not a problem, I can cut this one down. No sweat... :icon_thumright:

Interesting....

I have just bought a Babicz full contact 4 string bass bridge for my next P-Bass. http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/4-bass-bridge ...but I wanted the hardware to have a bright nickel finish.
Problem is the bridge is chrome plated aluminium.
I was thinking about taking it apart, taking it to a local plater and getting to remove the chrome by 'reverse plating' and then getting him to stick a few microns of bright nickel on......thing is I suspect that would be very pricey and the parts probably wouldn't fit together properly afterwards....

Any other ideas?

In my searches for methods to remove chrome, I found that many chrome plated parts are nickel plated to start with, so it might just be a matter of removing the chrome and re-polishing what's left. But, I also found that a lot of chemicals that will dissolve chrome will also dissolve aluminum. Not sure why. I don't suppose it matters. Based on my experiences here, I'd be real anxious about plating removal, especially on pricey parts.

Back