Remix - finally

fdesalvo

This was (and still may be) one of the most challenging and muddiest of all my instrumentals.  Dozens of guitar tracks, synth vocals, tons of reverbs and delays, and etc all to give a dreamscape vibe.  I can finally hear the subtleties in the vocals and the guitar harmonies over the bridge, which were all but completely buried prior. The guitars are tracked (rhythm) with WAY more gain than I'd typically use, but I wanted a mushy/sludgy feel acting as a pad out back.  I had to disassemble everything and learn about gain staging.  Still not there, but I broke the plateau.

Asan aside, I searched the name of my song recently and found a metal band has used the same name - and the imagery of this song's soundcloud avatar.  Mine was released in 2014, as was theirs.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence.  They obviously had deep marketing and tracking buckets.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/frankdesalvo/while-we-sleep[/soundcloud]

There seems to be a lot more clarity in that mix compared to before at least as I can recall. Well done.  :eek:ccasion14:

I like it  :icon_thumright:

recording several guitar tracks can be pretty challenging to sit them well in the mix without producing an undefinable soup of sounds. But you have managed it imo.

It is always good to have some thoughts about it before the recording starts, e.g. what amp setting, what pickup and most of all in what fretboard position do I record the lick/phrase. Sometimes even a different plectrum can contribute to the tone differentiation.

wolbai

Back