The Deep Field - life, death, the great thereafter

fdesalvo

Finding a  little time for a cathartic remix of a song I wrote about a friend's untimely passing.  Pretty fitting considering the events of this month.  There's no finer way to get the junk off your chest than to vent it through your guitar.  This one's a bit dark and depressing - so be it.

This mix is also the busiest I've ever put together, with heaps of strings, synths, guitars, etc all battling for midrange and a little slice of the frequency band to call their own. 
Vocals courtesy of a vintage interview with NASA legend Herb Lasson, may he rest in peace and forgive me for chopping up and rearranging his dialog to fit this theme.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/frankdesalvo/the-deep-field-free-dl[/soundcloud]

Nice, Frank. It didn't sound muddy to me. On my computer speakers, anyway.

Sometimes music expresses feelings you can't articulate.  I remember when my uncle died, I couldn't speak.  I picked up my guitar and did some riffs then went into Will the Circle be Unbroken, sang with a strong voice, then when done, melted into a puddle of grief.

Rick said:
Sometimes music expresses feelings you can't articulate.  I remember when my uncle died, I couldn't speak.  I picked up my guitar and did some riffs then went into Will the Circle be Unbroken, sang with a strong voice, then when done, melted into a puddle of grief.

Amen man

Edit:  Applied some lessons learned on this one:

Cutting low end of piano during choruses
Reducing repeats of delays during choruses
EQ instead of raising volume

Pretty stoked, I can hear the individual plucking of the heavy guitars now and there's so much more punch and clarity across the mix now.  Was inspired to re-orchestrate the intro and bridge.  Vocals really pop now.

Back