Reconfiguring my home studio / man cave

Updown

Hi all  :icon_biggrin:

I do have a couple of Warmoth builds to finish, some necks to tidy up …… nothing on order from Warmoth at present. SO ……
I finally traded in my SG 61' reissue Gibo.  :toothy10:  My Warmoth SG Yella Terra crapped all over it.  :party07:

Anyway ….
The other week I wanted to move something around in my home studio / man cave.
Well since I've been adding different units etc slowly over time, when I wanted to move something, it became the case of ……
OH CRAP  :doh:

Undo this, pull that though, untangle that though there, what the hell do those wires go to.  :dontknow:
Unplug this, before moving that, move that before moving this, don't pull that, it's connected to this.
Un-tape those wires before disconnecting that ….. (Good thing most was labelled anyway)

Think you get the idea thou.  :laughing7:

So I left it just as it was, for now  …….. But have worked out what is needed and have ordered bits.
1st off, I scored a freebie (like new) table / desk with 2 draws. Bigger than I had before and more solid and better wood …… Perfect !!

I already have a set of Alesis MkII active Monitors, that i've used for a while.
But … have now added, a set of Adam A7X (well there still in the box) …… Should rattle the windows.
http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a7x/description
To make things easier, I'm going to a rack system, will have 2 x 16u cabinets side by side next to the table.
Keyboard and Access Virus Ti Synth and extra screen on top of those u cabinets.
All my other stuff, i'll stuff it into the rack. Sliding draws etc.

:icon_scratch:  Mmmmmmm …. an excuse to buy some other rack units.  :help:

I have a Hosa patchbay to make patching / changing this into that etc sooooooooo much easier.
That'll be the fun bit to set up.

Label everything is the key thou.

Pic's to come, when it's done.

Cheers  :eek:ccasion14:

Altar said:
I have the 80's versions of all this stuff hidden away in closets and boxes.
Yeah right !!
:icon_scratch:  WTF ... got no idea what your are on about  :dontknow:

So Altar .... are you trying to tell me you have a Access Virus Ti synth (80's model)  :laughing7: 
Or any of those Monitors I mentioned.
Gee I'm glad I didn't mention all my toys  :doh:

BTW ....There's a saying around here ....... show us the pic's !!

All my music stuff in my studio is no older than 2000. Except one thing which was a 1999 model.

Anyway, back to topic....
I got my 2 x 16U rack cabinets today .... kind of had that ikea feeling this arvo.  :icon_biggrin:
Lots more to do.

BTW ... I highly recommend those Adam series monitors ...... WOW indeed !!

I'm saying I have a majestic hoarde of recording items and high end musical electronics hidden away in closets and the attic. All stuff my dad had when he was enjoying a bacheloresque life 20, 30 years ago... My favorite is a teac 4 track recorder, great sound. And yes, I have synthesizers, drum machines, and other more recent items. All I'm saying is that the majority of what I have is 80's spawned.

:blob7:

ttiwwp.gif

DangerousR6 said:

Stupid me  :doh:  sorry about that.    :sad:

Ok … just small brief 1st

After some life changing issues late 90's, I tossed in my job (Butcher) which I'd done since leaving school.
Started my own business, which happened to be one of my hobbies, so I was kind-off going stir crazy,
numb in the brain, I was NOT a gamer or video / TV type of person, I like doing things, making things etc.
So I needed something to get the brain excited / working.

Was sometime in 2006 I walked into my local music store, same owner as when I was a kid buying my 1st guitar.
And left with a Squire Affinity Strat an amp and a zoom foot pedal. (had some drums in it)
Having great fun with just that, making up riffs and rhythm pattens, was surprised how it all slowly came back.
Playing guitar that is.
Then thought …..  :icon_scratch:  now what do I do.
So next up was a Zoom MRS 802 Multi 8 track player, which has some great drums, guitar efx etc.
Had a hard drive of 40gb could record and at least get something together onto a CD.
Next came a Access Virus TI Desktop Synth, (I call that that Acid machine  :toothy12: ) and a cheapie midi keyboard.
Then I got something I always wanted a LP Gibson.

Next stage …
After getting the Virus Synth, which is great fun playing as hands on synth.    :icon_thumright:
I realised to get the full potential from it I needed a computer, something that I didn't have.
Got a iMac, Had to learn all that then.
Then of cause I needed an Interface and Monitors etc etc etc.
Went from using Cubase as my DAW to now using Logic Pro 9
Got bucket loads of NI stuff.

My home studio setup is in a room which was an old veranda that was inclosed when getting renovations ages ago.
It's 7' wide by 18' long, so most is setup along one side and at one end, as there is still plenty of room for playing.

Still adding things, But that'll do, pic's will show most things.

The desk with the midi keyboard + Virus Synth on, will be going and replaced by 2 x 16u Rack cabinets.
Which just happens to be the same height  :icon_biggrin:
The other other desk with the iMac on, has been replaced with a longer table.

The pic's below is how it looked BEFORE my changes that I'm slowly doing.

ZOOM MULTI 8 TRACK
file_zpsfc113d6a.jpg

ACCESS VIRUS TI + #2 SCREEN
file_zps18c594c4.jpg

FAR END TO THE LEFT
90b68899.jpg

NI MASCHINE + KORE 2
file_zps94dbfc85.jpg

IMAC + ROLAND VG-99
1ee96584.jpg

CENTRAL MAYHEM CONTROL
0a6bf63b.jpg

EX GIBSON DARKFIRE, HOOKED UP TO VG-99
9356894d.jpg

LONG SHOT .... RIGHT
file_zpsddbcdbff.jpg

LONG SHOT .... LEFT
file_zps10a1cfa9.jpg

RME FIREFACE 400 ADDED IN
file_zps25a462eb.jpg

ROLAND GR-55 ADDED IN
file_zpsc32cc7d7.jpg

I am so confused.  You say that is your man-cave, but in all those photos, not a single Warmoth axe in sight.  Are you sure you're Updown?

I can certainly see why you'd have cabling issues. I'll bet even the spiders got confused if they left the ceiling corners and went wandering around under the tables.

Bagman67 said:
I am so confused. 
You say that is your man-cave, but in all those photos, not a single Warmoth axe in sight. 
Are you sure you're Updown?

:laughing7:  ..... Yep it's me  :icon_biggrin:
Arh ... Those pic's (except last 2) were all taken before I had even built a Warmoth guitar.
Will make sure some Warmoth guitars are in the new studio pic's when done renovating.

Jumble Jumble said:
Also, no eating or drinking?
Jim_H said:
It's awesome, but needs a mini-fridge, microwave, and a futon, for nappin'

Well real sorry guys, But I have seen the disasters after drinks have been split into Synths / Keyboard / Laptops etc.
If you guys wanna do that  :dontknow:  ..... go ahead.
Anyway I have all that (fridge / bar / lounge etc) in the next room, I even go outside for smoko's, don't do that inside.

pabloman said:
Where's theTascam 4 track cassette recorder? :icon_jokercolor:
:laughing7:  I know where your going there    :icon_thumright:

Anyway ...
I have got the 2 x 16U cabinets together.
Just positioning things to see where is best for each unit.
Drilled holes and mounted the Roland VG-99 on a sliding tray, at a nice convenient hight.
Mounted some wood on top of both cabinets, to extend the depth at the back further.
That's so I can mount on one unit, the 2nd screen, which is on a swivel / tilt / extend arm.
In front of that is the Virus Ti Synth, mounted on top of one unit, which is hinged so it can be raised when sitting or lowered when standing over it.
I have plenty of room, so I have put a 1U blank panel above and below the Patchbay, so I can
put labels on those panels for the corresponding in's & outs of the Patchbay.

Need to get, patch leads etc when I work out the lengths needed.
Waiting on some RME rack ears.
Probably some other shelves / draws too.

Still have things so I can at least play my guitars, while making changes.

Ever bought something real simple, that gave you a hard time trying to work out how it works ?
Well .....
I wasted bloody hours today  :tard: 
Trying to work out how the bloody hell you use 'Dune Tube with Applicator' bought from Jaycar. (No it's not a sex toy)  :icon_biggrin:
I had never used it before, and it came without instructions.
Ended up with cables around my neck, up my nose and all over the bloody place.  :icon_scratch:
But ...
still NOT inside of the bloody Dune Tube.

Tossed it aside and came back to it later.

Finally late in the arvo, I worked it out  :doh:  .... you bloody idiot Updown

Clearly now .... I'm in the running for idiot of the week / month or year  :toothy12:    IOTM  .... Updown

He's wasting all the fridge space with a power amp and some Sony boxes I coudln't quite figure out.

My wife and I bought a house last year - one of the houses that we looked at apparently had inlaws living there at some point - house had two complete kitchens (actually it had a third kitchenette in this little building behind the house - and a bunch of other cool stuff - 3 car shop + 2 car carport, awesome price - I should've stuck to my guns). It would have absolutely rocked to have studio / rehersal space with a kitchen.

swarfrat said:
He's wasting all the fridge space with a power amp and some Sony boxes I coudln't quite figure out.
Oh those ... they have been moved elsewhere. Wasn't getting used in there.
It's a very nice Sony amp (japan) had for 30+ years.
Just had that fixed and the electrician said they sure don't make them like that anymore, he wanted to buy it from me.
One is a Sony CD player.
The other was a Sony Mini Disc player (remember those) that I've just given to someone else that will use it.

:icon_scratch: ... Maybe there is room for a fridge after all  :dontknow:  or more Warmoth guitars  :icon_biggrin:

Hey swarfrat .... I tossed out an old Sony twin tapedeck the other day that had died completely.
As you do before tossing something out, you see what bits can be re-used.
Well guess what I found inside it.
2 x 8 pin and 2 x 7 pin connectors, just like the GK-3 use, with heaps of wire attached.
I can make some good use of those someday.  :toothy10:

Back