recessed or non recessed floyds

rahimiiii

I have a body that does not have any holes drilled for the bridge but has a tremolo cavity routed out. I want to install a floyd rose but I don't have a router so non-recessed is the only option... what is the difference between them except for the need to shim the neck pocket for the non recessed (no big deal for me..)

Will I still be able to pull up with non-recessed provided I don't flush mount or is recessed floyd pretty much required if you want to pull up? I plan to use the original floyd rose sold by Warmoth.

Or has anyone used a chisel to recess the floyd rose...?

Can't you go buy a router?
They aren't that expensive, I have a couple and the one I like the most is a cordless craftsman, very light weight and easy to use. 

they come in handy as well for modifying pickguards for wider bridges  ie floyd rose

i'd imagine that leaving the bridge tilted to get some uplift ability would weaken your tuning stability, especially with a sensitive system like a floyd.  it's been that way with every trem equipped guitar i've ever played.  wether it be "vintage" or locking they all tend to go flat more often than normal which i can deal with on my strat, but not when it concerns the edge trem on my Iby

get a hipshot tremseter, they are the cooliest

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

and watch the video.

Hey Schmoopie  I watched that video, looks pretty cool. I might just try one, but $48.00? wow  I bet I could make my own.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolo_parts/Hipshot_Trem-Setter.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=tremsetter cheaper hear!

never buy from hipshot, you can get it all cheaper elseware 

I talked to a store and they said they will install a recessed floyd rose for about 80 dollars, if I provide all hardware. That includes modding the pickguard, the recessed route, and the locking nut prep. So I guess I will just order a neck without the floyd rose nut from Warmoth and let them do the rest.

so they'll route the body, install and set up the nut and prep it for you all for 80 bones?  i don't know about that one man...you know anybody that did business with them before?  that seems a bit TOO cheap, but then again i've never had a local shop do that type of work on my guitars so i wouldn't know.... :dontknow:

riarojr said:
so they'll route the body, install and set up the nut and prep it for you all for 80 bones?  i don't know about that one man...you know anybody that did business with them before?  that seems a bit TOO cheap, but then again i've never had a local shop do that type of work on my guitars so i wouldn't know.... :dontknow:

I don't know, what's the going rate for this kind of work then? It seems reasonable to me seeing that Warmoth charges 45 to prep the nut and routing the recessed cavity isn't such a big deal and neither is modding the pickguard. I would think 80 is reasonable.

Back