Rear rout - pots not long enough

arjepsen

Well... I guess my calculations were wrong  :sad1:
Just received the pots for my build today (acme set with cts pots).
It's a rear rout strat (Ash back - canary top).
The thread of the pots only just reach the surface of the canary top.

pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25578409@N06/4692489337/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25578409@N06/4692489619/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25578409@N06/4692489805/

So I need some advice.
As I see it there's two approaches:

1) The control rout for the 5-way switch actually goes all the way down to the canary top laminate, but the routs for the pots don't.
I could try to somehow remove that layer of ash, so the pots will be down at the canary too.
Any advice on how to do this safely?

2) Buy new pots with longer thread.
I'd rather not, since they are not readily available in denmark - so I'd have to make an expensive order from a website in another country.

:help: :help:

I just did something almost exactly like this about a week ago to fix the problem I had with the small bat switches I bought for my new strat build,
EP-0081-010.jpg

............ however my body doesn't have a top on it.
My problem was that the switches have a little metal ring at the bottom of their shaft and that was stopping it from getting up far enough to catch the threads with the nut.
I used this bit with my Dremel tool and just reamed out some wood. I did it by hand and just eyeballed the depth and it worked fine.

dremel-001.jpg

dremel-002.jpg

The problem I see with your situation is that you'd have to take out wood to allow the whole pot to settle into the wood a bit more, so your bit or tool would have to be slightly larger than the pot and at that size I'd not want to do it by hand.
I'd want a drill press or a router that was anchored to something with the ability to fix the depth of the cut your going to make.

If I were in your shoes I'd try to find the pots with the longer shafts.

"Long shaft" pots are specifically built for this problem, they're what you need for any Les Paul or rear-route body. Warmoth and a jillion other places sell them - I looked at the ACME site, and they do sell pots with ".750" bushings." It's possible that you could get a break on shipping if you explained things to them and returned the old ones, or just order some long ones and save the others - you can never have too many guitar parts! :laughing7: I personally wouldn't bother trying to take wood out for this problem - I've cut whammy bar slots, installed my own side dots, routed pickups and all, but it's STILL just easier to get the correct parts, in this case.

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/500K-POTS-C15.aspx

I bought several pots through ebay. Shipping costs from the US to Europe for small items like that won't make you go bankrupt.

Thanks for the replies.
I'd rather not order from outside EU, because of the tax. (I always find it rediculous that I have to pay toll/tax for the total cast INCL. shipping....)

Soooo
Anyone know of a european website that sells those long threaded CTS pots???

ARGH!

Problem is, I ordered the blender pot thingie...
Not sure I can get such a pot with a long threading...  :sad1:

Well.. at least I might be able to get some bourns pots. They seem to have a slightly longer thread than the CTS and ALPHA's

Tak for tippet  :)
I ended up ordering some Bourns pots from banzaieffects, and modding one to work as a blender pot.
The Bourns had a slightly longer threading, and fits well.

Now if that tung oil would finish curing... I've been waiting for two weeks now, but it starts seeping everytime i give it a light sanding

arjepsen said:
Tak for tippet  :)
I ended up ordering some Bourns pots from banzaieffects, and modding one to work as a blender pot.
The Bourns had a slightly longer threading, and fits well.

Now if that tung oil would finish curing... I've been waiting for two weeks now, but it starts seeping everytime i give it a light sanding

Wow, sounds like you applied it really thick. Too thick?

Back