Real pics of colors..

Klark

Hey guys.  Just wondering if some of you can post real pics of your Warmoth colors..  In particular, Firemist, Goldtop, Cream, Pewter, and Blue Ice.  I'm getting ready to order a few bodies so I'm deciding on the colors.  The main reason is because of the discrepancies between Warmoth site pics and what a customer really ends up with.  Case in point..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32889360@N00/2448062031/in/photostream/

That looks nothing like Warmoth's supposed 'Cream', but according to the buyer it is.

Thanks in advance !!!

Cream:
PT1856C.jpg

Vintage White:
PS5209C.jpg

That body:
2448078471_ef0bd06734.jpg

That picture has cool lighting, which would make the warmer colors of the cream cool down a lot.

Line6man, I appreciate your input but you're missing the point by just doing what everyone else does and just assuming a color is what you think it is.  The buyer stated with 100% certainty that he ordered a Cream body.  This is why I was hoping to see actual pics of builds in those colors because whatever lighting Warmoth has used to take the showcase pics is for crap on a number of colors.

Klark said:
Line6man, I appreciate your input but you're missing the point by just doing what everyone else does and just assuming a color is what you think it is.  The buyer stated with 100% certainty that he ordered a Cream body.  This is why I was hoping to see actual pics of builds in those colors because whatever lighting Warmoth has used to take the showcase pics is for crap on a number of colors.

Dude, not trying to sound rude, but have you ever taken a picture of a guitar indoors before?  Especially when it comes to light-colored finishes, they're impossible to accurately capture with consumer-level equipment unless you're a photo-editing whiz.  Max just pointed out that the pic is probably not accurate.  My guess is in person this guitar looks damn near exactly like the cream bodies on the warmoth site, and certainly those pics will be WAYYY closer to the actual shade than if any of us were to snap pics of ours and post them here. 

As someone who has worked professionally as a photographer and is also on the cutting bleeding edge of digital technology for a day job, you're kind of pissing in the wind here.

First of all, you appear to basing your supposition on what the buyer THINKS he has, there are no data points as to whether he ordered that body directly, bought it on eBay, whatever, and they have the Warmoth color right to start out with.

Generally, the colors on the Warmoth website are as good as can be expected to the best of my experience/knowledge. The monitor/display you view them through can have a substantial effect effect on the digital image and what you see when you get the actual item can vary a good deal and be further effected by the ambient color temperature of the lighting in your abode.

Whites/cream type of colors are probably more effected by ambient light color temperature than other colors. If you ask members to take/post pics with whatever cell phone camera/digital camera they have on hand, the results will most likely confuse you even further with their variations. Firemist and Goldtop are other colors that do not lend themselves to digital photography/monitor reproduction very well.

That's just the nature of the beast...

I understand, I just thought if enough guys posted their own pics, I could get a better idea of what the true color may be.

Ironically, I recently got screwed by ordering a vintage white F*nder body that, in the sellers pics, looked exactly like my '96 Malmsteen body.  Well, it showed up and looks nothing like it. :(

I don't think pics of bodies taken under who knows what conditions using various cameras/phones/webcams will help...

Here's Warmoth's idea of a black dye
post001_m.jpg

But it looks like this when it doesn't look like that:
postbody1_m.jpg

Here's the back.
post2_m.jpg

No, wait, here's the back
postback1_m.jpg

Point being it looks like each one of those pictures depending on lighting and angles. Not to mention when I was going to buy it I saw it on my home computer and thought DAMN, I gotta have it. When I looked for it at work I had a hard time finding it since on that monitor it looked nothing like it did on my home monitor.

It's right next to me and it doesn't look like any of those pictures this late at night under this lighting at this angle. Granted it's not a color you mentioned but the point is your chances of getting an accurate shot with no control over the lighting, camera, or display is about zero...

EDIT: Damn, I type way too slow...

Klark said:
Hey guys.  Just wondering if some of you can post real pics of your Warmoth colors..  In particular, Firemist, Goldtop, Cream, Pewter, and Blue Ice.  I'm getting ready to order a few bodies so I'm deciding on the colors.  The main reason is because of the discrepancies between Warmoth site pics and what a customer really ends up with.  Case in point..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32889360@N00/2448062031/in/photostream/

That looks nothing like Warmoth's supposed 'Cream', but according to the buyer it is.

Thanks in advance !!!

Assuming somebody cooperates with your request, you're probably not going to get any useful information out of it. As has already been mentioned, lighting and refraction/reflection have a great deal to do with photographic results, as do sensors and the apparatus that houses them and the recording media. Plus, the colors you're concerned with occupy the opposite ends of the spectrum, which are precisely the areas where lighting has the most impact. Something shot in a room full of incandescent lamps is going to trend towards the yellow (infrared) frequencies, while the same shot in a room lit by fluorescents is going to trend blue, given the same camera. If it's different cameras, the game changes again. Then, you have to consider the reproduction medium. If it's printed, that's one thing. If it's on a monitor, that's another. Then, what kind of monitor? Has it been color-corrected? Finally, there are the dreaded humans, most of whom have an opinion unique to themselves.

Long story short, there are a lot of variables involved, most of which you won't have any control over or knowledge of. So, your chances of learning anything useful aren't very good. But, thanks for playing! <grin>

I agree with Jack.  The problem with colors on the internet is unless it was done by a professional with property calibrated equipment and you are veiwing it on a monitor that has been calibrated the colors you see are kind of a crap shoot.  The image could be a perfect representation of that color, but if your monitor was plugged in right out of the box, you probably are seeing something a little different.  There are actually companies that calibrate home theater systems professionaly so the images you see at home are exactly how the films were edited and meant to be seen.

I'm an amateur photog, like to think I take better than average pictures on a guitar forum. And even knowing the concepts and trying to do a methodical job its still hit and miss. Add to that guitars, especially glossy ones are a rather difficult subject, as can be seen by browsing ebay.

Specifically the very thing you're asking is the area where inconsistency abounds the most. I presume Warmoth shots are pro, they at least did a good job w setting up a repeatable shot w decent lighting.  So whatever shortcomings they may have, its still better and more useful than even the most beautiful shots from random internet strangers.

I have to agree with the opinions expressed here. The Warmoth Showcase photos of the bodies I've bought have been much more accurate than the photos I've taken of them myself. I'm always frustrated that I can't seem to capture the actual look of the guitar in photos (although I have no idea what I'm doing). I think your best bet is to base your decision off of what you see on the Warmoth site.

I'm of the opinion that if Warmoth says the guitar is painted seafoam green or candy apple red or whatever, thats the color it is.

So go down to the local auto body paint store and look at their color sample books, pick a color, and within a small margin, I'd bet that's what the guitar will look like.

I've heard people say their guitar has bass frets and that B.B.'s Lucille is a Les Paul.  What size is a bass fret anyway?  What does 100% percent certainty of the owner mean?  He's pretty sure it is, or he has the receipt?  Has the owner commented that it's darker than the photo in person?  

It may very well be an optical illusion, but people can also be wrong.  The owner may swear it's Cream when it's Vintage White.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I've heard people say their guitar has bass frets and that B.B.'s Lucille is a Les Paul.  What size is a bass fret anyway?  What does 100% percent certainty of the owner mean?  He's pretty sure it is, or he has the receipt?  Has the owner commented that it's darker than the photo in person?  

It may very well be an optical illusion, but people can also be wrong.  The owner may swear it's Cream when it's Vintage White.

Dingwall uses Banjo and Mandolin frets. :dontknow:

Marketing BS, IMO just used to illustrate a point.  Bass frets make you think big, banjo and mandolin make you think small.  Calling them 6130 or 6100 doesn't give much info to the layman.  That's why you can sell them a Caffiene Free Sprite or Y2K compatible spoon.

Disco Scottie said:
I've seen the Loch Ness Monster. And bigfoot. Swear to God.
What are you, 14?  The owner is not an idiot.  He knows with 100% certainty that he ordered a Cream body.  Even if he was drunk or stoned, it's not real easy to confuse 'Cream' with 'Vintage White'.

Sure the owner's camera doesn't take that great of pics, but so what, that's exactly what I wanted to see.. The differences/variances

Geez, you'd think I asked everyone here if I could rape their wives and pillage their homes.  Sorry to bother anyone.

I think you're confusing widespread agreement for intensity of rhetoric. We just told you why we don't think it would be as helpful as it might seem.

Back