"Real" 24 fret necks and body routes

Would you be interested in a "real" 24 fret neck option

• Total voters
Cagey said:
I might even be ordering a neck or body just because I like it and don't expect to see a similar part show up, not because it's committed to anything in the pipe. Been known to happen.

I have three necks and two bodies waiting for me to figure out what the hell to do with them even as I write this.  Been known to happen, indeed.

Cagey said:
Not only separate orders, but for different things. I always have somewhere between 1 and 4 guitars in process around here. How is the website logic or Warmoth's sales people's intuition supposed to know what I'm ordering for or why? I pays my munny and I makes my choice. It's not up to them to second guess me, even if they could. I might even be ordering a neck or body just because I like it and don't expect to see a similar part show up, not because it's committed to anything in the pipe. Been known to happen.

Im not entirely sure what you mean. Warmoth could put clearly "24 fret neck (only compatible with 24 fret routed bodies)". If you order that for your typical strat then its your fault, right?

Cagey said:
I might even be ordering a neck or body just because I like it and don't expect to see a similar part show up, not because it's committed to anything in the pipe. Been known to happen.

Happens all the time.

JA93 said:
Cagey said:
Not only separate orders, but for different things. I always have somewhere between 1 and 4 guitars in process around here. How is the website logic or Warmoth's sales people's intuition supposed to know what I'm ordering for or why? I pays my munny and I makes my choice. It's not up to them to second guess me, even if they could. I might even be ordering a neck or body just because I like it and don't expect to see a similar part show up, not because it's committed to anything in the pipe. Been known to happen.

Im not entirely sure what you mean. Warmoth could put clearly "24 fret neck (only compatible with 24 fret routed bodies)". If you order that for your typical strat then its your fault, right?

In Theory, yes, but I've never met anyone from that magical land.

JA93 said:

Right. Who else's fault would it be?

If I go to the lumberyard and buy a 2x4 when what I need is a 1x2, whose fault is that? And how could the cashier or floor person or anybody else in the store know to stop me?

Proejcts? I still wish I could have afforded to snag the turquoise demon cat and frame it and hang it on the wall.  (Which, btw we have STILL never seen that guitar on the forums.  I wonder if Warmoth sent them a postcard and asked for pretty please pictures.)

I've also from time to time bought stuff (not from Warmoth so far) intending to hack it up for my purposes.

Cagey said:
JA93 said:

Right. Who else's fault would it be?

If I go to the lumberyard and buy a 2x4 when what I need is a 1x2, whose fault is that? And how could the cashier or floor person or anybody else in the store know to stop me?

About a year ago I bought a drill press.  It was originally a returned item at Home Depot but HD sells returned and damaged items off to small companies that then sell it off cheap to folks like me who dig around on Craig's List looking for a good deal.  I posted this on the forum when I got it and you noted how it has come to where "the customer is always right" means that stores like HD will always take returns even when it is not their fault.  As you stated, this has become expected of retailers.

While the buyer may be totally at fault, I think Warmoth would be in a bad position anyway.  They could tell the customer that they were the one who screwed up and refuse to take the item as a return which could just alienate a customer.  Or, they could take it back and eat whatever possible costs are involved.  While the latter probably works really well for large retailers like HD, I don't think it works so well for smaller and more specialized companies like Warmoth.

As a side note, you ever wonder how much it acutally costs HD to have such a generous return policy?  How many times have you bought something there (or bought more then you need) with the idea you'd just return it if it didn't need it?  I've got several items laying around in my garage right now that I just haven't managed to get returned. 

swarfrat said:
Proejcts? I still wish I could have afforded to snag the turquoise demon cat and frame it and hang it on the wall.  (Which, btw we have STILL never seen that guitar on the forums.  I wonder if Warmoth sent them a postcard and asked for pretty please pictures.)

I've also from time to time bought stuff (not from Warmoth so far) intending to hack it up for my purposes.

swarfrat said:

OMG. I had to wipe the tears from my eyes to type this message, after reading that Thread.  :laughing3:

I must've missed the turquoise demon cat when it was first posted.  That's comedy gold right there.

Now back to the topic.  I must be really dense, but.... doesn't Warmoth already have a 24-fret neck option for all the standard bodies?  They make baritone scale conversion necks with 24 perfectly good frets.

I'm building my second baritone scale guitar now.  I actually like the extra scale length - being a bigger guy with big hands and fat fingers, it totally makes sense to me.  :)

tubby.twins said:
Now back to the topic.  I must be really dense, but.... doesn't Warmoth already have a 24-fret neck option for all the standard bodies?  They make baritone scale conversion necks with 24 perfectly good frets.

The OP's dislike of the Warmoth 24 Fret guitar scale neck, was the large-ish fret extension from the neck pocket. The Baritones, with the larger scale, can butt the 24 frets onto the neck pocket without a fret extension & convert/extend the scale out to 28+".

But with the 24 fret guitar neck by Warmoth, the neck has to somehow fit 24 frets into a body & neck originally designed for 21/22 frets @ 25.5" scale. So they extend the frets onto the body instead of shifting the neck pocket.

Yep http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx

faq_neck_dimentionsNEW.jpg

The standard neck heel to bridge distance is 181mm - for all strat/tele pockets, baritones and 24.75 conversions included.  The OP is asking for a 24 fret neck with a heel to bridge distance more like 162mm. (Which, BTW - I looked all over the site earlier looking for pocket and heel to bridge specs, and never did see heel to bridge for the Mustang/Jaguar/ 7/8th strat necks.)
Code:
            W(mm)  L(mm) Heel(mm)
Tele/Strat    56     76      181 
Super 7       67     76  
Mustang       56     76  
Bass 6        61     98      260 
Deluxe 5      74     98      230 
Standard 5    73     98      260 
Short Scale   60     98      294

This is an interesting coincidence.  I bought one of Warmoth's old true 24 fret 24.75 scale necks off ebay (yes, they used to make them) for a build for my brother. He wanted an SG body but waited too long to send the cash before they stopped making those, so he then chose the Soloist, so I am actually in the process of building the guitar you described.

Possibly an idea to avoid orders placed in error would be to offer a 24 fret configuration tool for a body and neck together, meaning you have to pick options for a body and neck that is compatible.

Next idea is that the body and neck order is only possible via the website when configured and purchased together in an integrated configuration tool. The only option to purchase separately would be by contacting sales.

To solve stock not moving, that's also solved by making these build to order only. If it takes off as popular Warmoth could then move toward having some selections in the showcase.

Back