real 24 fret neck

po_0784

Some may argue over this, but I think that If warmoth could offer a real 24 fret neck (Ibanez) and a RG style body, they could be the real alternative against Jackson - Ibanez - ESP - Etc... Ive been playing 24 frets guitar for a long time. Some may argue that it isn't a neccessary thing to have this 2 octave range...but I totally hate playing lets say a Planet X song and not being able to play some part of the solo because of it.

I guess they dont do it cause you need a totally different machine to saw the fret slots? To me, an RG style body or neck is just another CNC programmed plan. I guess the problem arise when it comes to cutting fret slots? Id like to have the input of warmoth on this topic!

They gave us the SS6100 (typical shredder item), maybe they will give us the real 24frt neck  :icon_thumright:. If you do make it one day, I will gladly make myself my custom 24frt shredorama machine  :redflag: !

Warmoth should invade the "modern guitar" territory.  :sign13:

po_0784 said:
Some may argue over this, but I think that If warmoth could offer a real 24 fret neck (Ibanez) and a RG style body, they could be the real alternative against Jackson - Ibanez - ESP - Etc... Ive been playing 24 frets guitar for a long time. Some may argue that it isn't a neccessary thing to have this 2 octave range...but I totally hate playing lets say a Planet X song and not being able to play some part of the solo because of it.

I guess they dont do it cause you need a totally different machine to saw the fret slots? To me, an RG style body or neck is just another CNC programmed plan. I guess the problem arise when it comes to cutting fret slots? Id like to have the input of warmoth on this topic!

They gave us the SS6100 (typical shredder item), maybe they will give us the real 24frt neck  :icon_thumright:. If you do make it one day, I will gladly make myself my custom 24frt shredorama machine  :redflag: !

Warmoth should invade the "modern guitar" territory.  :sign13:
A fact they you are over looking about the RG body is  that they  may not be able to get Iby to let them make copies...That's one reason the VW body is gone and the Mockingbird..
As for the 24 fret fretboard, they have them.So I don't think cutting 24 frets is a problem. And I'm not getting why it's not a "real" 24 fret neck. looks real to me. The fretboard just doesn't have any wood under it, and it won't work on a strat body with a neck pick up...

I say screw Ibanez
except for their old jazzy lookin geetars

but, I WILL say that I DO appriciate the 24th fret and could make MORE than good use out of that complete 2 octave range

but I'll be honest, all I REALLY need is 22

time to go look at strat necks and be shocked :/

I put this up in the suggestions section a while ago, I think.  I would love to have the option to put a "true" 24 fret neck on a build, and not just a 24 fret extension.  24 frets and a neck pup should not be mutually exclusive. 

One of these "true" 24-fret necks/bodies/whatever would be GREAT! :guitaristgif:

DocNrock said:
24 frets and a neck pup should not be mutually exclusive. 

+100. Warmoth should invade the modern guitar territory like the OP said.

I would have loved to have a 24 fret neck on my builds, but i like having a neck pickup more so i had to go with that.

If you order a body (not from the Showcase), it can easily be routed for a neck pickup that fits the 24 fret neck. 

I am also not too sure that 'real' or 'true' is defined by having wood underneath all 24 frets. According to that logic, the 22 fret necks aren't totally 'real' either. 

All I ask is that we refrain from the never-ending debate about neck pickup placement.  :tard:

Just my .02

by a "real 24" frets. I mean not just a 22 frets neck +2 frets, but an actual 24 frets neck in correct scales dimensions. I would never get a false 24 frets neck with a neck pickup almost in the middle position.

They do a 24 frets, 7 strings neck in 25" scale. Whats the point?!? 25.5 scale is just enough to make the B string sounds ok! The actual photos I saw from people with warmoth 7 string have their neck pickup in the wrong position.

po_0784 said:
by a "real 24" frets. I mean not just a 22 frets neck +2 frets, but an actual 24 frets neck in correct scales dimensions. I would never get a false 24 frets neck with a neck pickup almost in the middle position.

They do a 24 frets, 7 strings neck in 25" scale. Whats the point?!? 25.5 scale is just enough to make the B string sounds ok! The actual photos I saw from people with warmoth 7 string have their neck pickup in the wrong position.
Most of the people that actually own the builds you say are wrong would argue that they are not wrong and sound great. The same holds true for the "real" 24 fret necks. Simply different from the million Ibanez's out there does not automatically mean wrong or bad. Warmoth obviously built prototypes of these instruments and tested for playability and tone before they released the parts for public consumption. It's like people saying if it's not exactly like Fender made in 1962, it's junk.

Warmoth has plans to expand neck and body offerings but it takes time. We are operating at max compacity right now so we are concentrating on efficientcy for the immediate future. But I do agree it would be great to cover the bases in the configurations you're talking about.

A while back I suggested Warmoth offer Ibanez replacement necks and bodies. It kinda got lost in the shuffle though... but generally most people would agree, Warmoth offering Ibanez parts would be the cats pajamas.

generally most people would agree, Warmoth offering Ibanez parts would be the cats pajamas.

"Most people" doesn't include Ibanez, though - I hear they get really stinky about people offering upgraded RG bodies and all. :toothy12: It's called "copyright infringement" and some people care more than others. Our hero Ed Roman ( :icon_scratch:) builds Ibanez bodies for people who want a swamp ash RG 7, etc., but he has to weasel around the language on his website and sneak them out the alley.

http://www.edroman.com/customshop/bodyneck.htm

Just thought I'd throw this in there...

"A customer of mine recently brought me a Warmoth body that was supposed to be a PRS knock off. "Yeah Right"  What a Joke.  The quality was fine but the design was wacked out. 

The scale was totally completely wrong and it actually had a flange sticking out of the body to bolt the neck on.

As near as I can figure all Warmoth products are basically Fenders with Fender scale & neck joints.

I say again, The Warmoth product is decent enough quality. They just the same old tired designs that all the big corporate guitar companies insist on using because they have paid so much for their trademarks."

That's from the link

JamesL said:
Just thought I'd throw this in there...

"A customer of mine recently brought me a Warmoth body that was supposed to be a PRS knock off. "Yeah Right"   What a Joke.  The quality was fine but the design was wacked out. 

The scale was totally completely wrong and it actually had a flange sticking out of the body to bolt the neck on.

As near as I can figure all Warmoth products are basically Fenders with Fender scale & neck joints.

I say again, The Warmoth product is decent enough quality. They just the same old tired designs that all the big corporate guitar companies insist on using because they have paid so much for their trademarks."

That's from the link

First off, he doesn't know what Warmoth does at the time of his writing this then says that we tried to make a knock off. Believe me, if Warmoth wanted to make a knock off it could be done. You can make practically anything with enough time and skills even in your own tool shed. To make product on a large scale and be profitable with it as a business is a completely different animal. You can dig up lots of junk from that website, but let's leave it all there shall we? It's gets more than enough air time on other boards that are not as productive as this one.

waitaminute, my friend, 24 frets and a neck pickup is NOT mutually exclusive

BUT the downside is that you need the  24 3/4 scale  option
or whatever the numbers are
it's gotta be smaller
seen it done on somebodies nice black korina strat

would I do that?
I doubt it
because while having a 15% smaller body can be lighter and afford you those options up there^^^
i imagine it might not feel the same
cuz it definitely wont LOOK the same

that being said
I'm a big fan of being all over the fretboard
so if there were a way to have a strat neck with 2 octaves
i'd immediately go for it
:guitaristgif:

this is a nice topic

that being said
You can "short scale" any rear rout flat top body including a Strat for a $50 up charge and have Warmoth build you a 24 fret, 24 3/4" scale neck to go on it as long as it is not a Fender shape peghead. You can do the Warhead peghead shape like you saw on my 7/8 Korina guitar as one option.

Gregg said:
that being said
You can "short scale" any rear rout flat top body including a Strat for a $50 up charge and have Warmoth build you a 24 fret, 24 3/4" scale neck to go on it as long as it is not a Fender shape peghead. You can do the Warhead peghead shape like you saw on my 7/8 Korina guitar as one option.

Only flat top bodies?

Gregg said:
po_0784 said:

Most of the people that actually own the builds you say are wrong would argue that they are not wrong and sound great. The same holds true for the "real" 24 fret necks. Simply different from the million Ibanez's out there does not automatically mean wrong or bad. Warmoth obviously built prototypes of these instruments and tested for playability and tone before they released the parts for public consumption. It's like people saying if it's not exactly like Fender made in 1962, it's junk.

Warmoth has plans to expand neck and body offerings but it takes time. We are operating at max compacity right now so we are concentrating on efficientcy for the immediate future. But I do agree it would be great to cover the bases in the configurations you're talking about.

Thanks for the info.  I'd imagine that when your shop is just trying to keep up with demand for existing product, it doesn't make sense to pull someone out to do speculative R&D.  Besides, doing a 24 fret neck like modern Ibanez designs would require completely abandoning the current Fender style neck pocket.

I think it's cool that it's a future option.  The current fender neck heel and pocket dimensions just don't offer quite the same feel.  I know that Warmoth has partially addressed the issue with the contoured neck heel, but even a contoured heel on a soloist body with a 24 fret neck doesn't compare to the accessiblity of an Ibanez RG with the all-access neck joint. 

On another note, I really like individual recessed washers for the neck screws instead of a neck plate.

I am all for warmoth having their own neck pocket design, and neck heel design. Something along the lines of the gecko system.
24 frets, recessed washers and bolts instead of a neck plate (sorry stranger dangerous :( ) and maybe threaded inserts in the necks.
They could still offer both, so you can still get fender replacement parts, but warmoth would take another shift from fender replacement parts builder, to its own custom guitar shop entity.

Woah, thks for keeping this post alive people  :icon_thumright:. I do understand that the "ibanez" style body may not be a great seller as much as the "strat" body. Hehe, this Ed Roman guy is so funny. Shame on me... I did read most of the stuff on his website  :help:, im just too curious. He does a good job of putting down every guitar company on earth...

Back