Raw neck

I already have an pauferro neck and it's fantastic
Expensive but absolutely fantastic !
I don't know Goncalo (never in my hands) but the color is exactly what I want !!!
OK, sounds much more WARM that maple, but I could not think about it using the EMG pups, it's true? :p

Turning serious, as it's Gncalo to the touch?
Like pauferro (very very smooth imho)?
Like a satin finish?
LIke ....

As I mentioned, I don't have a goncalo neck yet, so I can't say what it feels or sounds like.

I'm not sure it makes much difference in the sound any way. We're talking about electric guitars here, not acoustics, so there's a tremendous amount of mass involved, relatively speaking. While wood species will have an effect, it isn't nearly as pronounced or important as some would have you believe. It's probably like trying to decide if it would be better to jump off the 38th or 39th floor of a building if you wanted to commit suicide. The difference in effect isn't worth discussing <grin>

Cagey said:
It's probably like trying to decide if it would be better to jump off the 38th or 39th floor of a building if you wanted to commit suicide. The difference in effect isn't worth discussing <grin>

:toothy12:

Beautiful metaphor!

Bruno said:
Aussie Pete said:
I don't know why you cannot order an unpainted neck from Warmoth & get it finished by a professional the minute you get it in Italy? There must be a lot of musical instrument repairers who can do the job for you in Italy?

Certainly.
But there are several problems:
- Here, where I live, there are not
- The results are often not commensurate with the asking price.
Someone is obviously *very good pro* but waiting lists is cyclopean

Aussie Pete said:
I really doubt that the neck would warp during shipping.......

This is just my (unreasonable?) fear, traveling the neck in the holds of aircraft ...

I have bought 3 necks that have travelled from the USA to Australia and all have arrived in perfect shape, not one scratch from the very long trip. There would be hundreds of other similar stories. Warmoth have been mail ordering their products for over 30 years now, if they didn't figure out how to ship their products safely, how long would they had lasted in business? Not saying shipping accidents do not happen, they do, but that is a very low percentage. If you can't work on the principle that a large percentage of their necks arrive safely, why are you  asking detailed questions about Warmoth necks in the first place? Get one locally made and be content with that.... :dontknow:

As for the lack of good repairers I cannot reason that Bruno. In a place as sophisticated artistically as Italy, the home of Stradivarius & all those classical instrument builders, you cannot find a musical instrument repairer who can do some finishing on a maple neck?
I mean, it's Italy Bruno, not Nigeria or Zimbabwe - if you lived in those countries I'd understand the lack of craftsman available, but Italy!  :icon_scratch:

Sure you may have to wait and leave the neck with them. If the neck isn't being played on, absorbing moisture, then it can be left with someone to be painted.....I really doubt that the humidity in Italy is bad enough to cause a neck warp if the neck is safely stowed by the repairer until they get around to painting it for you...

My *friend*, you considers me too naive to fall into such controversies...
Warmoth does its job very well, I never said otherwise.
"My fear ...". Well, I wrote this phrase ironically, seemed clear...
Finally, Italy is the Art at levels that most people will never understand, of course.
But in the *name of the art* you would pay a paint job 3 or 4 times the price of a neck?
You want to wait 3 or 4 months (if you're lucky)?
And finally: I thought that encourage me to try.
Instead I was wrong.
Again
;-(

Bruno, my mention about Warmoth was in direct answer to your comment about sending an unfinished neck and the fear of it getting warped while it was being shipped...As for your 'fear' comment, it was very clear to me: you are fearing that the neck, because it is unpainted, will get warped while it is being shipped to you. Well, that MAY happen or it MAY NOT. Chances are it won't but you cannot say 'never'....I did not say: you think Warmoth's quality control is not good enough, that is a separate issue. The concern you raise, is about what happens after Warmoth have made the neck and it is shipped. If you have enquiries about whether Warmoth would honour a warranty claim on an unfinished neck that ARRIVES at it's destination warped, you will have to ask them that.

If you find it too hard to achieve what you would like, or beyond what you think you can have someone do for you or do yourself, don't do the project. Buy a guitar off the shelf. There is no shame in admitting that some work is beyond you, and it might be wiser to spend money on a decent guitar off the shelf. It is your choice, Bruno, Warmoth is not for everyone  - for many reasons :dontknow:

Back