Raw neck

Like (uhmm...onesty better) that maple satin nitro finish.
Pure velvet, pure feeling.
Simply the best that I've played

Bruno said:
I know I know...
I've my personal Warmoth replica of RB guitar  :laughing7:

Is that a Warmoth neck? Did they cut the headstock that way, or did you get it shaped yourself?

Yes good job but onesty....... very very simple job  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

So...Bubinga, Goncalo or Rosewood?  :icon_scratch:

Hello friends,
I have a little-hard request  :icon_scratch::
I want a mahogany neck (with indian rose, 1-11/16, std thin) but...
I don't have airbrush, painter, air-compressor etc. Only brush, buffer and goodwill :icon_thumright:
I can get a q-sawn mahogany neck  and apply a myself made finish (oil & wax?) or you say that mahogany neck, although q-sawn, with no finish is a very very big risk?

Bruno said:
Hello friends,
I have a little-hard request  :icon_scratch::
I want a mahogany neck (with indian rose, 1-11/16, std thin) but...
I don't have airbrush, painter, air-compressor etc. Only brush, buffer and goodwill :icon_thumright:
I can get a q-sawn mahogany neck  and apply a myself made finish (oil & wax?) or you say that mahogany neck, although q-sawn, with no finish is a very very big risk?

Unfinished mahogany, with its deep pores, could get pretty grimy from the oils and sweat of your hands, and of course I believe its open grain may make it more likely to distort as a result of exposure to the elements.  Whatever the reason, some kind of finish is preferable (and of course, a hard finish is required for Warmoth to honor its warranty).

What you could do is fill the grain and apply a hard oil finish to it (such as boiled linseed oil or the not-really-an-oil called Tru-Oil), or even tung oil.  Tung oil is likely to take longer and need more maintenance, but you can apply it with a rag.

Another approach would be to use disposable aerosol dispensers such as the Preval unit.  I don't know whether they're available in Italy (that is where you are, right?) but there's probably something similar available.

Good luck.

Bagman

+1 on TruOil.  TruOil is easy to work with if you don't have a lot of experience finishing.  Also, it goes on in very thin coats, so you can have an almost raw finish if you like.  Finally, it feels nice (and smells good too).

David

I expressed myself badly (as usual)  :sad:
The solution tru-oil (or better, tung oil) is what I do.
That I could never realize is a hard pro-finish (nitro, polyurethane, polyester)
So, ok tung or tru oil!!!

I want  order a raw maple neck w/Indian roses fretboard.
I want finish it with only *straw oil* and *wax for wood* (no specific product for guitar. Indeed, they are common products)
So, built it without problems? It does not twist more.

JaySwear said:
I bought a raw maple and rosewood neck and finished it myself. No problems at all!

Perfect but... what finish?
I've not professional tools :(
I can use only common straw oil and wax for wood (no tung or tru-oil, I don't find them)
I'll have no problems in your opinion?

The behavior of a piece of wood varies from one piece of wood to another, even from the same log. An easy way to see what can happen is to buy a stack of 2x4 pine boards for construction, then leave them sit for a couple weeks. Some of them will twist, some will warp, and some will stay straight, all as a result of moisture. Maple does that, too, although not quite as severely. Still, it doesn't take much movement to wreck a neck. So, you put a finish on it to protect it. If you don't, it may not warp or twist, but there's a reasonable chance it will. Warmoth says in their experience, the chance is about 10%. I'd put it higher than that, but I'm sure they have much better data than I do so I won't argue the point.

I could apply a hard finish with brush (primer http://www.veleca.it/prodottieng/acrivel.php?class=5&item_e=31 and satin finish water-based http://www.veleca.it/prodottieng/mobilh.php?class=5&item_e=47 ) but... my problem seems simple ordering from Italy  
Let's face it seriously, even with guarantee, I will not change a defect neck.
How much does it cost me to do that?

So I must prefer a finished neck (or like goncalo, pau, rose ect.)....

it is a sin, because I want to change the color of the neck and change the shape of the headstock and with a finished neck I can't.
I could change my choices on Goncalo (color that I want), but I don't know if it sounds good with an alder body with quilted maple top...

I don't know why you cannot order an unpainted neck from Warmoth & get it finished by a professional the minute you get it in Italy? There must be a lot of musical instrument repairers who can do the job for you in Italy?

I really doubt that the neck would warp during shipping.......

Aussie Pete said:
I don't know why you cannot order an unpainted neck from Warmoth & get it finished by a professional the minute you get it in Italy? There must be a lot of musical instrument repairers who can do the job for you in Italy?

Certainly.
But there are several problems:
- Here, where I live, there are not
- The results are often not commensurate with the asking price.
Someone is obviously *very good pro* but waiting lists is cyclopean

Aussie Pete said:
I really doubt that the neck would warp during shipping.......

This is just my (unreasonable?) fear, traveling the neck in the holds of aircraft ...

If you can come up with a scale drawing, Warmoth will cut the headstock the way you want it. There is a small charge, but it's easy. Then, they can finish it the way you want it and you'll have what you want professionally done before you even get it.

The other thing you could do is order a canary or pau ferro neck. Those both feel/sound much like maple. The canary even looks a lot like maple, while the pau ferro looks more like the goncalo. Or, just order the goncalo. None of those require a finish. I don't have a goncalo neck yet, but I can attest that the pau ferro is some sexy neck wood. Unless you can't stand the color, you'd be hard-pressed to find a neck wood that feels better in your hands.

Back