Raw FB Roasted back any issue?

Archie Macfarlane

Hey would there be any issue specing a roasted maple neck with a raw maple fingerboard? Like say behaiviour in different climates or finnish issues?

I really like the birdseye maple boards but they can come up a bit nicer unroasted ala the old wolfgangs

Thanks.

I don't know if that would cause any problems for you. It would make a fine looking neck, though. You'd probably need to put a finish on it. Call Warmoth and discuss that with them.

Warmoth doesn’t require a finish on roasted maple, but my rm fingerboard became filthy quickly, and my hand oil isn’t particularly dirty.

I recommend a light coating of tru oil to keep it looking nice.

i've got one like that. my hands are not oily, but the board does get dirty.  kinda like an old maple neck with the finish wearing off where you play it.

not a bad look imho.

Rgand said:
...It would make a fine looking neck, though...
+1 on that. I'm thinking the light fretboard on a dark neck would be a very interesting, and good looking, combination!

I don't see an issue, but big W doesn't offer such combo, at least not for the strat neck.  Though I probably clicked the wrong button and have been missing out all these years.  As Rgand said, you might want to call Warmoth directly.

Without a finish, I'd be pretty nervous. The back of the neck, being roasted maple, won't absorb moisture like the fingerboard will, which can help a neck twist a lot more easily. Honestly not sure if Warmoth will do it, but if they did, I'd expect to see a "no warranty/refund/return" type thing on it.  :sad:

Another shop I sometimes use has told me the people there just Tru Oil their necks (front and back) if all maple to keep them cleaner and make the grain pop a little more. I have one from them I'm going to Tru Oil soon. I have a couple of all roasted maple necks that are raw that I have no issues with so far. So I'd like to get a few months in and compare how they look. (The Tru Oil neck and the raw ones) The majority of what I have are Warmoth parts but if Warmoth won't do a birdseye fretboard on roasted maple necks (which seems to me like a phone call discussion with them and not likely programmed into the builder on the Warmoth site) reach out to USACG as they do roasted birdseye necks now or may be more open to putting regular birdseye on a roasted neck.

Back