Quick Question...

Jimmy Jingles

I have an old Yamaha Strat-style basswood body that I am going to attempt to refinish myself (first time). It currently has a crappy black sparkly finish. Here are my questions...

If I sand/strip the finish completely to the bare wood, do I have to use grain filler on basswood?

or

Would it be ok to sand the clear coat off and paint directly over the top of the old paint (using it like a primer)?

Thanks!!!

Jimmy Jingles said:
If I sand/strip the finish completely to the bare wood, do I have to use grain filler on basswood?

Nope!

Jimmy Jingles said:
Would it be ok to sand the clear coat off and paint directly over the top of the old paint (using it like a primer)?

Yep!

(Correct me if I'm wrong, willyk...)

dbw said:
Jimmy Jingles said:

Nope!

Jimmy Jingles said:

Yep!

(Correct me if I'm wrong, willyk...)

basically correct dbw. Sometimes different paints will react adversely with each other but I don't think Yamaha used anything outlandish  :icon_thumright:

I'm pretty certain those Yamahas came with a poly finish, attempting to sand off just the gloss top coat is going to be problematic and time consuming.

I'd suggest using a heat gun and stripping it to bare wood; make life easy, and a heat gun is handy to have around the house for other usage as well. Here's a link to a thread where a guy used one to strip a finish:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1791.0

Thanks guys for all your great replies.

I thought about the heat gun method...just a little hesitant I guess. But what the hell, you only live once, right?

Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks again!

jackthehack said:
I'm pretty certain those Yamahas came with a poly finish, attempting to sand off just the gloss top coat is going to be problematic and time consuming.

I'd suggest using a heat gun and stripping it to bare wood; make life easy, and a heat gun is handy to have around the house for other usage as well. Here's a link to a thread where a guy used one to strip a finish:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1791.0

What Jack said.  Then sand, fill, seal, and finish.

Back