Question regarding Warmoth's Basswood quality?

I'm just curious as to whether Warmoth use American Basswood, or the rubish Ibanez use on their lower priced guitars. I love American Basswood w/Maple Top on higher end guitars, but I find cheaper guitars are horrible compared. I just don't want to buy Basswood form Warmoth if it's not great.

Basswood with a maple top is different than just basswood, as I'm sure you know. But, what you might not know is that basswood is barely a hardwood to begin with. It's classified that way genetically, but so is Balsa. You wouldn't want an instrument made of balsa, would you? What I'm trying to tell you is that Just because a wood is classified as a hardwood doesn't mean it's hard. It may not be suitable for some uses. Basswood, in most people's minds, is not a suitable instrument wood. It's soft, inconsistent, unremarkable, weak... I don't know why anybody tries to use it other than to save pennies on construction cost. It's not even as good as Poplar, which is usually considered the bottom of the barrel. Not that it's bad per se, but it's fairly easy to do better.

It only costs a little more to go first-class, and you're rarely sorry.

I consider american basswood a good resonance wood (like john suhr: basswood/maple top for std suhr).

I'm not much rather agree that the maple top can affect the sound: ok if the top is strong (3/4" carved top), but if a few millimeters I think that his influence is zero (IMHO)

Bruno said:
I consider american basswood a good resonance wood (like john suhr: basswood/maple top for std suhr).

I'm not much rather agree that the maple top can affect the sound: ok if the top is strong (3/4" carved top), but if a few millimeters I think that his influence is zero (IMHO)

I know English isn't your native tongue, and normally I know what you're trying to say, but you might want to consider re-phrasing that last post. It makes little sense. It sounds like a deliberately obscure secret agent code phrase or something.

I understand exactly what he is saying.. you just hate foreigners!

Also, Basswood sure is soft, but it is a great tonewood!! right in the middle of Ash and Mahogany.. or a bit like both..
it is not inferior at all. if you want a solid finish anyway, go for it!

Love basswood! Its a great tone wood, and generally pretty light weight. I've gone back and forth on my next project because I really love basswood but want a nice clear gloss finish, and basswood is definitely not great as far as wood grain goes.

People love to hate basswood, but the best sounding guitars I've owned were basswood.

PS: Yes, Warmoth uses the good stuff. Not the cheap-o basswood you'll find on Chinese guitars out there.

Cagey said:
Bruno said:

I know English isn't your native tongue, and normally I know what you're trying to say, but you might want to consider re-phrasing that last post. It makes little sense. It sounds like a deliberately obscure secret agent code phrase or something.

Lol,
you're right, of course
I'm sorry, I used google translator for the first (and last) time.
So...I try again: I think that maple top has relevance only in carved top bodies

I hope it is more understandable

Bruno said:

Not hard to understand, translation....

I think Basswood has a good resonance i.e John Suhr's Basswood/maple top that he uses for his std series

I don't really think the maple top effects the tone much. If it is a 3/4" top maybe but if it is a flimsy cheap thin veneer then defintly not.

Bruno said:
ok I'm going to hide before becoming the laughing stock of the forum
:redflag:

you're not... just ignore Cagey (like the rest of us)  :icon_biggrin:

Oh, come on! I wasn't rude or impolite and I answer his questions reliably more often than anybody without any comment on his phrasing. Plus, he admitted he used a mechanical translator, which was obvious because he's typically more understandable. If you want to ignore me, that's fine. I don't get paid by the reader for this. But I wish you wouldn't disparage me in public without cause. It makes me cry, and then all the crumbs in my keyboard get soggy and my vision gets blurry and I have to drink more beer than I can afford and... and... and... it's just mean! <sniff>

Cagey said:
Oh, come on! I wasn't rude or impolite and I answer his questions reliably more often than anybody without any comment on his phrasing. Plus, he admitted he used a mechanical translator, which was obvious because he's typically more understandable. If you want to ignore me, that's fine. I don't get paid by the reader for this. But I wish you wouldn't disparage me in public without cause. It makes me cry, and then all the crumbs in my keyboard get soggy and my vision gets blurry and I have to drink more beer than I can afford and... and... and... it's just mean! <sniff>

Too many crybabies like to whine and complain on the internet, hoping for some sympathy for their crappy lives. I think everyone should just ignore this crap.  :redflag:

line6man said:
Too many crybabies like to whine and complain on the internet, hoping for some sympathy for their crappy lives. I think everyone should just ignore this crap.  :redflag:

Yeah, I know. I also don't care. Lord knows I like to bitch, too.

Cagey said:
Marko said:
there! I added a smiley... does that make you feel better??

A little bit... I wish I had a cookie, though...

ugly+cookie.jpg

Now be quiet, adults are having a conversation.  :blob7:

Bruno said:
ok I'm going to hide before becoming the laughing stock of the forum
:redflag:

Hey Bruno, don't worry about it. Your english is fine. We know what you're talking about, and you can understand
everyone else - thats all that matters.

:rock-on:

ORCRiST said:
Hey Bruno, don't worry about it. Your english is fine. We know what you're talking about, and you can understand
everyone else - thats all that matters.

:rock-on:

I'm not offended. Absolutely
(I believe that all jokes, if not .. that’s the least of my worries!)
I don't know English well, it's strange when you understand me...

Back