Question Regarding Tuner Sizing

Nerdo

I recently ordered a neck from Warmoth:

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Vintage/Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Roasted Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood (Dark)
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Wolfgang
Fret Size: SS6105 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")
Radius: 9.5-14" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 21
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Gold Pearloid Nightswan
Side Dots: White Side Dots

I'm not sure the tuners will fit, after reading a few other posts regarding tuner hole sizing. Can anyone confirm these tuners should fit or not?

Tuners:

Gotoh Magnum Lock-Trad 6-In-Line Tuners -
https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/gotoh-magnum-lock-trad-6-in-line-tuners.html

Thanks!
Sean

It looks like the part you're contemplating from StewMac depends on a straight-sided 10mm ream, while the standard "Gotoh-Grover" ream is step-sided, and slightly larger than 10.3mm in the wider dimension, and ~8.7mm in the narrower one.  If you use a reamer to widen the narrower dimension out, the part you're looking at will "fit", more or less, but there'll be a little wiggle in the fitment.  Once you torque down the ferrule nuts and install the anti-rotation screws on the back of the neck, any wiggle will probably be locked down, but if knowing you're 0.3mm out of a perfectly snug fit chaps your hide, you'd be better off selecting a different, more perfectly-sized part.

Thank you so much! I'm very new to the partscaster world, never tried to build one before; I probably should have asked this beforehand! It seems the forums are super helpful, and at this point I feel like I have read almost every thread on here, since the waiting is killing me! I don't mind reaming the holes to make them slightly larger, but if they're loose at all, that would make me nervous! Hopefully StewMac is good about returns!

I bought the same machine heads, but my neck order has the 13/32 “Planet Waves” tuner hole team. Is 1/100th of an inch too large going to be noticeable? Man I hope not!

Nerdo said:
Thank you so much! I'm very new to the partscaster world, never tried to build one before; I probably should have asked this beforehand! It seems the forums are super helpful, and at this point I feel like I have read almost every thread on here, since the waiting is killing me! I don't mind reaming the holes to make them slightly larger, but if they're loose at all, that would make me nervous! Hopefully StewMac is good about returns!

If not, you can always hold onto them for your next build ;)

I've always liked dealing with StewMac (although their prices are a little ridiculous for some of the more common items). I did return something before when I realized I ordered the wrong size/type.  If you don't have their membership, you'd need to pay the return shipping cost, though (I don't buy enough from them to justify the $40/year).  For me, it was worth taking the extra hit because I wasn't going to find myself using that wrong piece.  No hassles.

Back